• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Nikon remote control

Lisa Nikodym

I have a D200, and often wish for a wireless transmitter like I often used with my D70. Is the WT-3 that the D200 will now be able to use similar to the huge, many-function, extremely expensive WT-3A? Or is it something different? I've looked at the Nikon web site and some reseller sites and can find no info on it. Is it not out yet?

If it's similar to the WT-3A, I'm not interested; too big to fit easily in my compact camera bag, and very expensive. If it's anything like the tiny, single-button transmitter I used with my D70, though, I'd get one immediately.

I guess once I download the firmware upgrade, it won't hurt to *try* the D70's transmitter to see if it works...

Lisa

Joel Schochet

Lisa,

I believe that you may be confusing a wireless transmitter (like the WT-3A) which sends information from the camera to a computer, with a wireless remote control device. To my knowledge, there is no wireless transmitter available for the D70. You may be referring to the little ML-L3 for the D70.

There is no inexpensive Nikon wireless remote control for the D200 that I know of. I use either an MC-30 ($55 at B&H) or an MC-21 (not sure of the number since it's out of production as far as I know), both of which are wired. Nikon also has the wireless ML-3 which I'm pretty sure would work with the D200) for about $140. You may find these items at a lower price at Roberts Imaging. You can also get a Dot Line remote, as seen here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...=*&bhs=t&shs=nikon+remote&image.x=6&image.y=6

The WT-3A, as I said above, is for transmitting the photograph directly to a computer. I bought it so that as I photograph my people subjects, the image will be sent directly to my MacBook Pro for viewing by the client. That way, for instance, a mother can immediately get an idea of what her child's photograph of her baby will look like.

If I'm wrong about your request, or wish to ask anything else, please do so. I hope that I have helped you.

Joel

Lisa Nikodym

Thanks, Joel. You're correct; I thought the term "transmitter" included remote controls (apparently not). It was indeed a remote control I was thinking of.

And indeed, I had searched and not found any wireless remote control for the D200. That's what I was hoping for. I looked up the ML-3, and it appears to not be wireless, but to have a cable to connect to the 10-pin connection on the camera - is your understanding something different? I got a cabled remote shortly after I got my D200, but found it too time-consuming to get the cable attached to the camera and detached again, and returned the remote.

Perhaps I should ask how others here with the D200 solve a functionality problem I have with it. When I'm hiking with a tripod and wish to take a tripod shot at a shutter speed that might have mirror-slap vibrations, I use mirror lock-up on the camera. However, on the D200 you can't have both mirror lock-up and a shutter delay (2 sec, 10 sec, or whatever) at the same time, only one or the other. But I'm concerned that, while I'm using mirror lock-up, manually pressing the shutter button with my finger might cause its own camera motion. Hence, I would use a remote if I could. But...a remote on a cord is fine in a studio setting, but it is a time-consuming pain to get it attached to the camera and detached again just for taking a couple of photos. A wireless remote like the one with the D70 would be much more convenient. Am I wrong in assuming that manually pressing the shutter button might cause unwanted motion at slow shutter speeds? If it *is* a problem, then how are others dealing with it when using mirror lock-up?

Thanks
Lisa

Ray West

Lisa,

The Nikon ML-L3 wireless remote, is not radio, but infra red. I'm not sure if that is the one you refer to as the ML-3.

I would think you could connect the wired remote more or less permanently, if the wire is too long, either coil it up, or otherwise shorten it. Maybe you would need to gaffer tape the connector, or something. You will lose non-wired remotes sooner or later...

Amazon seem to refer sometimes to an MI 3, then ML-L3 and show a more complete set up, with an IR receiver with a short cable, that you plug in to the camera. Not being a Nikon guy, I don't know if your camera has an inbuilt IR sensor, it could make a price difference of $100 or so, I guess. (I'm guessing it doesn' ;-( )

There are 3rd party brackets, to take the older machanical cable releases, which may suit you better.

Best wishes,

Ray

Joel Schochet

Lisa,

The ML-3 comes in two parts, I believe. One to attach to the camera, and the other a hand-held infrared remote. If you don't want to take the time to attach the cable to the 10-pin connection, it won't help.

Here's how to use mirror lockup without causing vibration. As you probably know, when mirror lock-up is selected (via the dial on the upper left of the camera), you press the shutter once to raise the mirror, and a second time to open the shutter. Without a cable release, the second press may very well result in a blurred photo. So... Don't press a second time! If you raise the mirror and do not press the shutter again, the shutter will open by itself after 30 seconds. Unfortunately, that time cannot be shortened; but at least you can have the camera steady even without a cable release.

It's nice to see your enthusiasm for the D200. Since I've gotten mine (actually two), I've hardly used the D2x. Nikon's is getting better and better.

Joel

Lisa Nikodym

Joel Schochet said:
Lisa,

The ML-3 comes in two parts, I believe. One to attach to the camera, and the other a hand-held infrared remote. If you don't want to take the time to attach the cable to the 10-pin connection, it won't help.

Here's how to use mirror lockup without causing vibration. As you probably know, when mirror lock-up is selected (via the dial on the upper left of the camera), you press the shutter once to raise the mirror, and a second time to open the shutter. Without a cable release, the second press may very well result in a blurred photo. So... Don't press a second time! If you raise the mirror and do not press the shutter again, the shutter will open by itself after 30 seconds. Unfortunately, that time cannot be shortened; but at least you can have the camera steady even without a cable release.

It's nice to see your enthusiasm for the D200. Since I've gotten mine (actually two), I've hardly used the D2x. Nikon's is getting better and better.

Joel

Thanks very much! I'ts very useful to know that waiting 30 seconds will give me what I want. I'll do that. When I'm taking a photo, I'm usually somewhere where I'm happy to enjoy the view for an extra 30 seconds...

Lisa

Graham Welland

If what you want to do is to quickly set up a remote release you might want to take a look at the Dot Line remote cable releases available for the D200/D2X. (BH Photo stock them)

What's different and convenient is that these don't require you to screw the plug into the front of the camera as needed by the ML-3 or MC series remotes. This makes them a LOT easier to set up as you just push in the plug when needed and pull off when finished. No fiddling around trying to get the small screw to thread on to make a connection.

A couple of other advantages: (1) They're actually available! (2) cheaper than Nikon MC-30 etc.

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Graham,

I'm so pleased to see you here in the Nikon section being so helpful in your very first post.

Perhaps you might say "Hello!" in the Into forum so we can all greet you!

I myself shoot Canon but am making an effort to branch out. My tests of the D2X impressed me. No, really wowed me! Nikon has Macro auto focus and flash work well with the sharp Macro lenses.

So welcome again to OPF. The nikon forum is important to us and your participation is great!

Asher