• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

what inkjet printer?

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Bonsoir Thomas

Thanks for the link, but these last days I've read so many good and bads in different foras, about all printers that, trying not to repeat what I wrote above, photography is a real job and needs know-how… exactly as printing does…

I dont want to fall on the tennis player game: it's not the printer, it's the ink, no it's not the ink it's the paper…

I wished to do the printing myself, but I better keep going on photography and have my usual lab print for me and deliver 95% of time what I expect from my files.
Time and mind saver!

I am very keen to have the very best details and accuracy on my prints for my very demanding professional clientele, I don't have time to waste on this kind of "errance" and as I have an easy solution @ 10 minutes from my office, why should I bother?

Thanks all for your advices, I'm sure they will help others…

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Please, don't misunderstand me in the post above:
If I'm not able to print correctly it is my fault, I just don't want to spend so many times to learn this.
In no means my purpose was to say that other photographers are less demanding than I am… or that their photography doesn't desserve the best prints!

I'm just out of the game on this one :-(

Better to be clear :)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Guys,

It seems pretty straightforward. different people print the files without any tweaks, just ignoring the appearance on their screens. They just have to state what profile they used, the paper and the inks!

That is pretty basic and the results will help us all!

Asher

Ray West

Hi Nicolas,

Thanks for the explanation, extra information. I was not aware you were actually wanting to do more of the printing than what I thought you wanted to do. (I thought you were after just quick 'proofs?', a4's or a bit bigger.) You have said many a time that your printing guy knows what you want. That is entirely different to you knowing what you want, and having to get there yourself - horses for courses...

Best wishes,

Ray

Thomas Krueger

In my opinion you can go with Epson, Canon or HP, each printer has its pro and con. The Z3100 was my choice because of the inbuild color profiling unit from Gretag Macbeth. And the test about lightfastness and ozone resistance confirmed my choice to go with the HP Vivera inks.

Starting long time ago in a fotolaboratory after beginning with b&w as a hobby, printing has to be done by my own. As looking long times ago on the negative under the enlarger, now I'm looking at the raw file in front of the monitor with Silkypix, DXO or Lightroom.
And when it comes to printing I want to push the button to confront the print immediately with the picture on the monitor. It's like in the darkroom, working and working with the tools of today you get the experience, like in the darkroom years ago. This autumn there are the new baryte papers available from several companies, and this is another step to better prints.

alberto cornejo

Ther is no way I´d sell my 7600, never a heache in 5 years+, and now converting it to K7 carbon inks from Cone, strictly Black and White, with the Ergosoft RIP can control perfect high standard printing, better than sending anything anywhere. I´m new here, but printing for 40+ years....

alberto cornejo

Ther is no way I´d sell my 7600, never a headche in 5 years+, and now converting it to K7 carbon inks from Cone, strictly Black and White, with the Ergosoft RIP can control perfect high standard printing, better than sending anything anywhere. I´m new here, but printing for 40+ years....

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Ther is no way I´d sell my 7600, never a headche in 5 years+, and now converting it to K7 carbon inks from Cone, strictly Black and White, with the Ergosoft RIP can control perfect high standard printing, better than sending anything anywhere. I´m new here, but printing for 40+ years....
Alberto,

I love the strict control you have over your printing. The 7600 should last another 10 years! The new machines do have impressive gamut increase, however, one can yell at Rembrandt to tell him he could be do better with more modern pigments.

A creative does not need to move beyond the color set of any printer now.

The used 7600 and 9600 machines are great bargains to consider. If one wants to stay at the cutting edge, go for it! The gamut and smoothness may very well present your picture more vividly. However, it's not a necessity for most artists.

Asher