• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

LensChanger: get your lens right in files!

Nicolas Genette

pro member
Hi,

I've wrote a simple application to get lenses name right into raw files inside lightroom. I've now release this application for free:

screen_app2.2.jpg

LensChanger is an application that allow you to change lenses registered into xmp files (sidecar files for Raws), jpeg files, and tiff files through exif metadatas.

LensChanger as been designed as a standalone, lightweight, portable and very easy to use application. It can thus work with whatever software using xmp sidecar files for raws, like LightRoom, ApertureOne, etc… So, you can keep it on an USB drive and run it with a few clicks to get all your files with correct lenses.

http://www.nicolasgenette.com/blog/lenschanger-application/

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Sounds great and it does it in a stealth way! I have yet to install it, but as I also use the A7R with all sorts of old lenses, this will help.
XMP file. Is that possible?

Asher

Nicolas Genette

pro member
XMP file. Is that possible?
Asher

What is the question ?
For raw files, Lenschanger check for lens name and change it according to your lens list. With Overide function, if there is no xmp file (because you didn't import them into Lightroom for example), it will create one with the lens name you have set.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Nicolas,

I generally don't use .xmp files as I prefer the camera and lens data are store in the IPTC fields in the RAW or processed files. I am scared of somehow losing track of the .xmp files and then the data stored inside them!

Asher

Nicolas Genette

pro member
Ok Asher.
I would not let any software touch my raws, but anyone do like he want ;-)

I though about this, but there is too much proprietary raw format to reliably write into them. If in the future I find how to do 110% reliable, I would ad this functionality. Anyway you are the first to ask for this ;-) With Lightroom for example, all your development settings are in you catalog file, and xmp files. If your catalog get corrupted, you lost all of them. Apart if you have xmps, just reimport them and all is back there.

Cheers,
Kib