• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Breakfast Bw today

Doug Kerr

Today (this being Saturday) we enjoyed breakfast B, or to be more precise, breakfast Bw (in which the pancake stack in breakfast B is replaced by a waffle).

Curse one is a fruit plate, which I generally describe as "five kinds of fruit". We see it here, accompanied by the usual accompaniment to breakfast, a stack of editorials and op-ed articles, usually mostly from the New York Times. We see here on top an article describing how dangerous is Jared Kushner, president-elect Trump's son-in-law, But I digress.

Q05824-01-S800.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Breakfast Bw, course 1

Often, this course includes slices of orange as well, but not today. The melon cubes include some canteloupe, but today they are few in number and hidden among the watermelon cubes. (I didn't do any styling of this scene, but shot it "as found".)

In the place setting, the "steak knife" is a mis-step; it is normally provided only for breakfast A, which (for me) includes a sausage patty (not that it is at all so tough as to require such a weapon rather than a dinner knife, but using such is my preference - I always prefer the most potent tool that is "appropriate").

The waffles in course two are prepared à la table. Here is the waffle station:

Q05829-01-S800.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: The waffle station

The waffle baker is small and basic but, in Carla's skilled hands, very effective. The size waffle it prepares is ideal in size for each of us to have an entire one for breakfast. Today, Carla will have a chocolate chip waffle.

Course two comprises scrambled eggs, somewhat thick bacon (prepared "greaselessly" in the microwave oven in a special fixture), and the lovely waffle.

Q05830-01-S800.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Breakfast Bw, course 2

Please excuse the scrambled egg mess on the edge of the plate, a careless artifact of my doing just enough "styling" to be dangerous.

For me, with my type 2 diabetes, the preparatory ingredient for this meal is 25 IU of fast-acting insulin. Based on typical ratios for me, that suggests that the carbohydrate content of this repast is perhaps 160 g, well beyond the classical (and naïve) recommendation for persons such as me of no more than 75 g of carbohydrates at a meal.

By the way, the odd orientation of the coffee mug is to obscure the side which, on an area of "blackboard" paint, carries in chalk a sweet and quite personal message from Carla. (I forgot to warn her that this would be picture.)

Well, it's time to kiss the cook (again).

Best regards,

Doug

Peter Dexter

First, nicely photographed and second gosh that looks good. I would call this a mini breakfast blog (the blog being mini not the breakfast).

Doug Kerr

Hi, Peter,

First, nicely photographed and second gosh that looks good. I would call this a mini breakfast blog (the blog being mini not the breakfast).

Thank you. Oh, and it was so good!

The photography really qualifies for that hateful term, "point and shoot".

As you'll get to realize now that you are among us, yes, my forum dissertations are often blog-like!

Tomorrow, it being Sunday, we will have breakfast C, and hopefully I can document that as well!

By the way, I've really been enjoying the diverse work that you have shown us here recently.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Doug,

It is very generous of you to invite us into your home like this, at breakfast time. My first reaction is appreciation of the social gesture and friendship you display to us. Next the documentation of a real breakfast table is a delight!

Sill as a physician, let me add some "Doctor" comments and cautions!

Curse one is a fruit plate, ........

That was, perhaps, a rare Freudian slip! The "curse", (likely as not), is the grapefruit, which either enhances or interferes with so many different common medications one depends on! Do a cross check for every pill you gobble, versus "effect of grapefruit"! I love the tangy taste of grapefruit, myself, but am constantly surprised over how many fm drugs it fights with!

Q05824-01-S800.jpg

we enjoyed breakfast B,......

Pretty and certainly looks healthful and inviting!

The sausage patty is fine for a medieval foot soldier for his reserve rations. However it is not first class food and the waffle is another disaster for health. Dump these over-processed offerings and instead a chunk of chicken or turkey or else a nice fillet of fish. Add some nuts and vegetable to taste. Look after the protein and the calories look after themselves!

Course two comprises scrambled eggs, somewhat thick bacon (prepared "greaselessly" in the microwave oven in a special fixture), and the lovely waffle.

Q05830-01-S800.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Breakfast Bw, course 2

What can I say! Except "Bon Appetit"!

Doug Kerr

Just to keep the record complete, here is breakfast C (normally served on Sundays, which this was), course 2:

Q05846-01-S800.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Breakfast C, course 2

It is like course 2 of breakfast B except that the pancakes (for B) or waffle (for Bw) is replaced by a helping of potato cubes (done in greaseless preparation).

By the way, the coffee mug had the usual sweet message from Carla on it, but out of discretion, I deleted it before this shot. You will note that the "blackboard paint" is itself about worn off, but that doesn't seem to matter; that area on the mug has a matte finish which is apparently what makes it receptive to chalk marking, black paint or no.

The shots in this series, by the way, were all taken with my Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000, which has a 3/3 ("one inch") size sensor and a permanent lens with a focal length range of 25-400 mm ff35 equivalent. Lighting was "as found".

For all of them, routine post processing (rotation to correct for azimuth error in shooting; exposure correction and fill light application; cropping; and downsizing, with associated sharpening) was done with Silkypix Developer Studio. Elapsed time is about 30 sec. per shot.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Sorry I don't respond to your note - fell of my plate, so to speak!

Doug,

It is very generous of you to invite us into your home like this, at breakfast time. My first reaction is appreciation of the social gesture and friendship you display to us. Next the documentation of a real breakfast table is a delight!

Sill as a physician, let me add some "Doctor" comments and cautions!

That was, perhaps, a rare Freudian slip!

Ah, yes, Sigmund's ghost can strike any time, any place!

The "curse", (likely as not), is the grapefruit, which either enhances or interferes with so many different common medications one depends on! Do a cross check for every pill you gobble, versus "effect of grapefruit"! I love the tangy taste of grapefruit, myself, but am constantly surprised over how many fm drugs it fights with!

Not sure what "fm drugs" are. Is it "fm" in the sense used by many radio engineers (no, not for "frequency modulation")?​

Yes, and I have looked into this a bit, but not as much as I should have.

My endocrinologist says, for example, that the grapefruit can potentiate the effects of my various diabetes medications, and perhaps even my anticoagulant medication but since I titrate my dosage of all of them based on measurements, it is a closed loop system so there should be no problem.

Q05824-01-S800.jpg

Pretty and certainly looks healthful and inviting!

The sausage patty is fine for a medieval foot soldier for his reserve rations. However it is not first class food . .

Yes, just the humble food of desert dwellers.

. . .and the waffle is another disaster for health. Dump these over-processed offerings . . .

The waffle is made with specially-obtained four that should be less of a "processed" hazard than most.

. . .and instead a chunk of chicken or turkey or else a nice fillet of fish. Add some nuts and vegetable to taste.

Well, not nuts - I have an allergy to most tree nuts (and extremely so to peanuts)

Look after the protein and the calories look after themselves!

Of course.

Fortunately, I am too old to die young from bad eating habits!

Thanks for the observations, Doc.

Best regards,

Doug