Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Digital Camera Discussion > Medium Format & Large Format Cameras

Medium Format & Large Format Cameras Digital and Film.

Old March 20th, 2009, 04:32 PM

Default digital and film together?

I saw a program about photographer David LaChapelle and as he was shooting he would sometimes tear off a polaroid film image from his camera. Was he using a camera that had both digital as well as film capability simultaneously? Is that common for you professionals that shoot studio or location shots with MF?
James Newman
Old March 20th, 2009, 07:52 PM
pro member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Newman View Post
I saw a program about photographer David LaChapelle and as he was shooting he would sometimes tear off a polaroid film image from his camera. Was he using a camera that had both digital as well as film capability simultaneously? Is that common for you professionals that shoot studio or location shots with MF?
James Newman
It could be an older video. In film days Polaroid was widely used to visualize the final image. Now, the LCD screen serves the same purpose.
Old March 20th, 2009, 08:13 PM

Thank you Alain. So, in those older days, would the camera have two film sources then? One polaroid for instant viewing and then a second separate film for final processing? Or am I just completely misguided and what I saw was him taking a picture with a regular polaroid camera and then using a different film camera for his real shots?
James
Old March 20th, 2009, 09:16 PM

Hi, James,

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Newman View Post
Thank you Alain. So, in those older days, would the camera have two film sources then? One polaroid for instant viewing and then a second separate film for final processing? Or am I just completely misguided and what I saw was him taking a picture with a regular polaroid camera and then using a different film camera for his real shots?
Perhaps.

But often with a view camera (perhaps 4x5) a Polaroid back would be put in place to produce a "test print" and then a sheet film back (or maybe even a roll film back) put in place for the actual shot.

Best regards,

Doug
Old March 21st, 2009, 12:29 AM
pro member

Two different film backs would be used with the same camera. One back was loaded with regular film, the other with Polaroid film. These are cameras with removable film backs -- either medium format or 4x5 for the most part. using the same camera for both films was important because that way we could check exposure and composition.

We did strange things with film ;-) It's all over now -- we came to our senses thanks to digital !