Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Digital Camera Discussion > Medium Format & Large Format Cameras

Medium Format & Large Format Cameras Digital and Film.

Old May 5th, 2009, 03:01 AM

Default Shooting hand held 4x5

I recently took the plunge and decided to shoot the fourteen artists who either reside at, or have a studio within 'Montsalvat', an artist's colony situated near Melbourne, Australia... It turned out a much bigger quest than I first envisaged, but it was a lot of fun over a couple of months. It was to become an exhibition that's currently running in the Long Gallery. I tried several B/W film types but after two hundred plus negs, I arrived at an absolute favourite...Chinese ERA 100 4x5 sheetfilm, stuff I originally bought for testing purposes only, now I love it....developed in HC for six minutes, it scans like a dream and leaves many more expensive filmstocks in the dark. My Razzle 900 handled it extremely well and far outperformed the Canon 5D I used for checking the lighting setup. I had fitted a press shutter with an old (chipped front element) 150mm f5.6 Schneider and shot almost everything wide open at 1/30th of a second. Images can be viewed here: http://www.pbase.com/razzledog/razzle_900
It sure helped shooting hand held using a radio trigger to fire the flash.
Old May 5th, 2009, 01:12 PM

nice!

I shoot my speedgraphic hand-held fairly often, it fun shooting a big camera handheld :-) I've not tried using external flashes yet with the speed, I've got some pocketwizards and flashguns for my digital, maybe I should try that sometime!
Old May 7th, 2009, 03:32 AM

Default Radio Razzle

I simply used the cheap Chinese 'popshing' trigger, then I could 'do the walk' to find the best angle without falling over the wire.....
Old May 7th, 2009, 08:52 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Jones View Post
I simply used the cheap Chinese 'popshing' trigger, then I could 'do the walk' to find the best angle without falling over the wire.....
Dean,

Do you have a link to that?

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old May 7th, 2009, 08:57 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Hi Dean,

Here's what you do with pBase. cleick on any of your images so it is the larger size. Right mouse click or for Mac control-click and chose "Open Image in New Window:. From the top of the page copy the URL. If you quote this post you will then see how it's inserted between [IMG] and [/IMG]

Kind wishes,

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old May 7th, 2009, 03:31 PM

Really excellent and beautiful work. I love environmental portraiture. These are superb.

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com
Old May 9th, 2009, 02:25 AM

Thanks Jim...coming from you this is most appreciated. I checked out your site and figure what you're doing with shallow DOF is exactly the effect I'm after. The area of real sharpness, fading instantly into a nice soft bokeh is brilliant, so I have begun experimenting with a few older (and newer) lenses that I'd previously given up on. The also tried to obtain a similar effect by building a LF swivel attachment that resembles an overgrown lens baby. Selective focus and soft edges are the way to go.
I thought about using an Aero Ektar, a la Bjarte Borkum or David Burnett (every couple of years he makes an inquiry about a Razzle) but the radioactive rear elements together with the absolute bulk of the thing put me off. At present I quite like the results from a few projection lenses I have, at least it's something to play with until a Xenotar f2.8 comes my way. anyways.....

Thanks for the advice Asher.....I'll practice gettin' some more pics up shortly.... (heh heh)