• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Tokina AT-X Pro D 300mm f2.8

This lens must be discountinued. It is on Tokina's archive. I've read the few reviews and have gotten the impression it is a great lens at a price closer to nikons 300mm f4. I cannot find one used.

I am wondering if anyone here has any experience with this lens or the sigma and tamron offerings. A lens at this focal length and apeture is something I'm looking to purchase before summer.

thanks
jake

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This lens must be discountinued. It is on Tokina's archive. I've read the few reviews and have gotten the impression it is a great lens at a price closer to nikons 300mm f4. I cannot find one used.

I am wondering if anyone here has any experience with this lens or the sigma and tamron offerings. A lens at this focal length and apeture is something I'm looking to purchase before summer.

thanks
jake
Look every day at http://KEH.com

For sure they will have a great lens for you. What they call bargain will still work well! :)

Asher

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Jake,
"film only" is KEH's odd way of stating it's a non-DX lens.
I'd question the actual use you'd get from a 300mm.
What are you shooting? What plans do you have for the lens?
If I look at what you've posted so far, it's a lot of candids and close-ups, not the stuff you'd normally use a 300mm for.
Are you really going to get much that much use from it?
IMO I'd rather see you invest in the 85mm.

Asher Kelman

Hi Jake,

John is so right! I sold my Canon 300 2.8 since I discovered that for birding it was not long enough and for most of my other work I used either 50 mm or else 70-200 and either 85,, or about 130mm. It so happens that everyone who makes lenses, make superb 85 or 90mm lens that all function very well.

I also agree that you need to take stock of what you are shooting. So ask, "In what way does your present line up limit my work?

Asher

Hi Jake,
"film only" is KEH's odd way of stating it's a non-DX lens.
If I look at what you've posted so far, it's a lot of candids and close-ups, not the stuff you'd normally use a 300mm for.
Are you really going to get much that much use from it?
IMO I'd rather see you invest in the 85mm.

Yes many candids and close-ups, which i love. As summer is arriving in just a few short months my normal shooting arena will most likely be outdoor, parks, football pick up games, basketball. I also have 16 acres on a lake in the country. On my crop body(D90) the fov is near 450mm fov already on a 300mm and with an addition of a teleconverter (1.4-2) would put me in reach of the eagles, peregrine falcons, woodpeckers, turtles, etc? correct? I could also see this length as a great portrait/full body lens as well(with sb800's and pocket wizards)? I would have really loved something in the range last year at the Minnesota state fair.

The 85mm 1.4 is a for sure thing by next winter when I'm back indoors for the time being.

Are my thoughts in the wrong direction?

thanks
jake

Asher Kelman

Yes many candids and close-ups, which i love. As summer is arriving in just a few short months my normal shooting arena will most likely be outdoor, parks, football pick up games, basketball. I also have 16 acres on a lake in the country. On my crop body(D90) the fov is near 450mm fov already on a 300mm and with an addition of a teleconverter (1.4-2) would put me in reach of the eagles, peregrine falcons, woodpeckers, turtles, etc? correct? I could also see this length as a great portrait/full body lens as well(with sb800's and pocket wizards)? I would have really loved something in the range last year at the Minnesota state fair.

The 85mm 1.4 is a for sure thing by next winter when I'm back indoors for the time being.

Are my thoughts in the wrong direction?

thanks
jake

Jake,

So, with what you outline as your goals and intentions for the new lens, it's about your convictions in actually doing the work you propose and your the power of your pocket book. The difference between could and should is either ethics or reaching a goal based on opportunity. So if you are not harming your essential needs and responsibilities and have the resources, just go for it. But 300 mm is insufficient for you ,even with the multiplication factor. You need to go to at least 400mm. Consider a 50-500 "Bigma" zoom or a similar.

Screen shot 2011-01-23 at 10.51.12 PM.jpg

Source

Rent first to be usre you have the right lens. You do have to schlepp it with you. You'll need , no doubt, a good sized tripod and a gimbal mount would be an asset, plus all the time you need to find the critters you seek!

For me, the sheet pleasure and ease shooting the available, but, (unfortunate), captive animals in the zoo, makes the equation of cost, (in effort, time and lenses), v. results advantageous for my limited resources and circumscribed drive to photograph them. Unless I'd be going on safari, I'm satisfied with a 70-200 2.8. Otherwise, I assure you, I'd rent and go first class with the best lenses available for that rare and costly opportunity to see abundant wildlife in natural surroundings. By a lake, I'd look for frogs and lizards under leaves, praying mantis and wild flowers. These I can master with reasonable effort and no expenditures.

Asher

Thank you both for the advice.

Well I have a 1k budget for a lens by summer so I am curently just doing research and I am not locked into anything in my mind at the moment. I plan on some testing at the local camera shop. As the original post is for the Tokina I've really just loved the build of this 100mm macro and can only hope they bring out some fast primes.

I'm really just getting some brainstorming going on in my head as to what I really want and need.

A fast wide angle also is bouncing around in my head.

thanks
jake

So i picked up a mint used Nikon 85mm f1.4 if af-d last night and couldn't be happier! I cannot even tell this thing is used.

thanks for the advice everyone.

jake

Thanks john. I haven't gotten my state tax return in yet and that bargain tamron sp 300 f2.8 is for $665 is looking sweet right now too. Although i dream alot, when the time comes to purchase I believe I'll take the right path and lean towards some more off camera flash and shoot through umbrella/stands.

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Jake,
The thanks really goes to Asher for all his advice in this thread.
Take a realistic view of what you truly enjoy shooting (or want to) and build your kit around that.
I think you're off to a great start.
IMO, I think you'd gain far more use from some prudent lens purchases to round out your needs.
Winter's drawing to a close and you'll be back outside sooner than you think.
I'd hold off on the lighting purchases for now.

Hi Jake,
The thanks really goes to Asher for all his advice in this thread.
Take a realistic view of what you truly enjoy shooting (or want to) and build your kit around that.
I think you're off to a great start.
IMO, I think you'd gain far more use from some prudent lens purchases to round out your needs.
Winter's drawing to a close and you'll be back outside sooner than you think.
I'd hold off on the lighting purchases for now.

Yes I see your point on summer being so close although my budget isnt' quite reaching my wants for the next peices of glass. My dream system, 24 1.4, 35 1.4, 50 1.2/50 1.4, 85 1.4, 135 f2 dc, 200 f2, 400 f2.8. The first, and last two are years and years away. And the rest aren't in my budget over the summer, thats why i thought about an added flash.