• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Castles, Towers and Forts, Medieval Manor Houses and Palaces!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
For me, it all starts here! The Tower of London!

Tower London.jpg

Add your own!

:)

Asher

Asher,
I am amazed how much you could include! It is very wide angle, but I do not see any hint of lens distortion? The perspective gives a nice 3D effect. The touch of turbulence in the clouds seem to add to the history of the place.

I now pick up enough courage to add one of mine - another view of the same place from my FM2 collection.

33247858214_df1cc451e8_b.jpg

Reginald

Last edited:
Here's some from my native domain...

One of the four main gopurams of the Madurai Meenakshi Temple.

34001911341_7b7d92d345_b.jpg

A closer look at the sculptures.

33289932454_9b3586db2f_h.jpg

Some of the other gopurams.

34132541225_a2015d97f7_b.jpg

Reginald

Jarmo Juntunen

This place is not medieval but maybe medieavally inspired. Here we see granite castle 'ruins' in Aulanko, Finland. They were constructed by a local rich industrialist in late 19th century as part of an English park.

_img1280.jpg

...and, what did you expect?

_img1280.jpg

Asher Kelman

This place is not medieval but maybe medieavally inspired. Here we see granite castle 'ruins' in Aulanko, Finland. They were constructed by a local rich industrialist in late 19th century as part of an English park.

_img1280.jpg

...and, what did you expect?

_img1280.jpg

Looks right to me!

Great they have a lookout..........

The castle is safe!

Asher

Asher Kelman

What is also fabulous is that one is actually in the real Munich with all its rich attractions.

Likely as not there is one facsimile already, (or about to be), at some theme park in China! They provide the "Masses" with an "education" of the greatest and monumental structures in the Western World!

I am not sure when they'll get to Munich and the iconic town hall.....but, when they do, I hope they'll add a beer garden, a genuine working Bavarian pastry shop and at least well-stocked Pinakorhek! Now that would be superb!

Asher

Jerome Marot

I am not sure when they'll get to Munich and the iconic town hall.....but, when they do, I hope they'll add a beer garden, a genuine working Bavarian pastry shop and at least well-stocked Pinakorhek! Now that would be superb!

Actually, there is a Bavarian restaurant in the basement and they serve beer in one of the inner yards by fair weather.

Castles and ruined abbeys in Scotland. (Album at https://www.flickr.com/gp/133969392@N05/HVdW5A ).

Here's the fortified residence of Archibald the Grim, the Lord of the Black Douglasses in Galloway Scotland. It suffered a bit from cannonfire during a protracted seige, but had survived many attacks before that.

P6010383 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

From a trip taken to research the lands we came from late last spring. One of the castles, Closeburn, was built by a Kirkpatrick!

scott

Asher Kelman

Asher,
I am amazed how much you could include! It is very wide angle, but I do not see any hint of lens distortion? The perspective gives a nice 3D effect. The touch of turbulence in the clouds seem to add to the history of the place.

I now pick up enough courage to add one of mine - another view of the same place from my FM2 collection.

33247858214_df1cc451e8_b.jpg

Reginald

Reginald,

Thanks for your kind words. I stitched this but I cannot remember whether it was from a 24-105 or my 50mm 1.2!

I like your picture. Very rugged and shows the wear of battle and time!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Castles and ruined abbeys in Scotland. (Album at https://www.flickr.com/gp/133969392@N05/HVdW5A ).

Here's the fortified residence of Archibald the Grim, the Lord of the Black Douglasses in Galloway Scotland. It suffered a bit from cannonfire during a protracted seige, but had survived many attacks before that.

P6010383 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

From a trip taken to research the lands we came from late last spring. One of the castles, Closeburn, was built by a Kirkpatrick!

scott

Pretty strong fort, Scott! You must be proud of the Kirkpatrick connection. Was he the builder or the lord?

Now what relationship do the styles we see in Scotland Ireland and England have to the Crusador forts in The Holy Land. We're there's designed by British monarch or by the Popes people or any lords made his own design?

Asher

Crusader castles tended to be bigger, but they didn't face cannonfire. They did face fairly large armies. Until the English kings came north to subdue the Scots, attacks on castles were pretty much clan affairs.