• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

nikon camera going off?

Anthony Reilly

Hi everyone I was wondering if someone could help me out. Today I was using my nikon D5000 had a fully charged battery in it and an empty memory card, I took 1 picture and as I was about to take another I noticed nothing was working so I had a look at the on/off button and it was still on but nothing worked to try get it working again and still isn't so what could of happened and has this ever happened to anyone else?

Thank you

fahim mohammed

Remove battery and reinsert.

Make sure the battery is fully charged.

Try a fresh battery pack.

Let us know what these actions result in.

Best.

fahim mohammed

Check the contacts.

When you say it is off..what do mean? Is there no accessible function at all?
e.g menus?

What about your on/off switch? Could it be making loose contact?

Just some thoughts.

Else it could be a power supply issue and might need a trip to the Nikon service center.

Michael Nagel

The contacts - as Fahim pointed out already - are the most probable reason.

I would also check the charger. As the behavior was the same for both batteries, the charger could have a contact issue.

Were the batteries indicated as 'full' both at the charger and the camera?
Do you have another camera using the same batteries to cross-check?

Please be precise and as complete as possible in the description of your observations as everyone reading here can most likely not look over your shoulder while trying.

Best regards,
Michael

Anthony Reilly

It was indicating full battery on both charger and camera I had the camera turned on for about 3minutes and then it went off. There's no menu's or lights or anything nothing will work theres no power at all

Michael Nagel

So the camera worked once with the first charged battery and went dead thereafter?
When using the other battery, the camera stayed dead?

I presume you did check the contacts in the camera.

Anthony Reilly

The battery that was in the camera was fully charged from a few days ago and worked fine and that was the same battery that was in the camera when it went dead, so I changed to the other fully charged battery and nothing happened

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Anthony,

Is there a camera store near you with the same camera, or else another Nikon camera you might have using that battery. Try your batter in the new camera or vice versa. That is the fastest way.

Otherwise you might have to send your camera in for service. Is it still in the warranty period?

Asher