• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Sea Shells

Christine Rose

Shells For Sale....

413788419.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Shells For Sale....

413788419.jpg

Christine,

I am not sure I like the coloring of the dried starfish. If they are already dead, why not?

I ask myself,

"How are these collected?"

I have, myself, no clue as to whether this might be in any way a bad thing for the environment. But I do wonder when I see a pile like this.

If these were octopus corpses, I would have questions about our rights to harvest them, as they are highly sentient, as we'd imagine aliens to be.

But starfish likely have no higher thoughts beyond reflect circuits for their feeding and self protection, so I am. It bothered except at the idea of giant scrapers ripping up coastal ecosystems to collect them. But perhaps gathering the starfish is simple as walking along a beach and picking them from the sand!

Asher

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Christine,

I have discovered that Florida, at least, does not allow certain starfish, Bahama Starfish for recreational purposes, not even a single specimen!

In addition, here is a good realty check as to what this business is about. It confirms my suspicions that, likely as not, this harvesting threatens these animals.

Asher

Christine Rose

This photo was taken in the US I would assume they have strict laws about harvesting sea creatures alive and not dead after being washed up on the shore as I always thought... So I have no Idea about the actual collecting of these shells or Starfish... It would be a shame if they were taking them alive... That would be wrong... and breaking Florida Laws...

Asher Kelman

This photo was taken in the US I would assume they have strict laws about harvesting sea creatures alive and not dead after being washed up on the shore as I always thought... So I have no Idea about the actual collecting of these shells or Starfish... It would be a shame if they were taking them alive... That would be wrong... and breaking Florida Laws...

Christine,

If the creatures had brains, surely they would thank you for publicizing this practice! So we thanks you for them and ourselves.

413788419.jpg

.........Imagine doing this to squirrels, mice or kittens!

It is, part of photography's power and writ, to be a lantern to illuminate what we do to each other and to the planet over which we have claimed dominion. You have unwittingly shon a light on an issue few understand well enough.

Wherever modern humans reach, they lay claim to the territory and paint swathes of death to all other creatures on the landscape! That is what your picture must remind us.

To kill wild creatures to eat, or to have fur to keep warm and survive, is logical. But to gather living creatures to dry their bodies for this modern trivial "entertainment", is tragic!

In this way, we promote, the waste and even destruction of the very treasures that make our small planet miraculous!

Asher

Christine Rose

Christine,

If the creatures had brains, surely they would thank you for publicizing this practice! So we thanks you for them and ourselves.

413788419.jpg

.........Imagine doing this to squirrels, mice or kittens!

It is, part of photography's power and writ, to be a lantern to illuminate what we do to each other and to the planet over which we have claimed dominion. You have unwittingly shon a light on an issue few understand well enough.

Wherever modern humans reach, they lay claim to the territory and paint swathes of death to all other creatures on the landscape! That is what your picture must remind us.

To kill wild creatures to eat, or to have fur to keep warm and survive, is logical. But to gather living creatures to dry their bodies for this modern trivial "entertainment", is tragic!

In this way, we promote, the waste and even destruction of the very treasures that make our small planet miraculous!

Asher

I agree emphatically...