• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Vulcanized

James Lemon

i-Hswj84h-L.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Explain “Vulcanized” I am in a different bubble. I do know about Startek and about vulcanizing rubber, but cannot, as yet relate either to your picture.

So help me!

Asher

James Lemon

James,

The picture is unusual in its significant shadows on an attractive blue wall. The fellows pursed lips makes us wander what is on his mind.

Asher

Asher

He is wondering who sent him a mysterious email and why footwear has far more to do with identity and expression than mere function.

Best, regards
James

James Lemon

Explain “Vulcanized” I am in a different bubble. I do know about Startek and about vulcanizing rubber, but cannot, as yet relate either to your picture.

So help me!

Asher

Asher

"It refers to the process of vulcanizing rubber, first developed by Charles Goodyear in the 1880s. Vulcanization is an important aspect of the story of where sneakers began.

The rubber on shoes, before vulcanized rubber was developed, would wear out quickly. While the plimsoll was technically the first rubber-soled shoe, they were considered a luxury item for the wealthy since they could only stand up to being worn a few times. Sensing an opportunity to bring his father’s invention into the world of footwear, Charles Goodyear, Jr. eventually joined forces with some of his competitors to form the U.S. Rubber Company. Together, they released Keds, the world’s first “sneakers.” The term was coined by an advertising firm since the shoes made it easy to sneak up on someone without the loud footsteps of the wood and leather shoes that were more common at the time"

https://nationalpost.com/life/fashion-beauty/the-gentrification-of-sole-how-the-history-of-sneakers-devolved-from-a-personal-narrative-to-a-token-of-exclusivity

One particular brand has Vulcanized printed on the sole. People pay outrageous prices for fashionable footwear.

Best, regards
James.