• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Focus confirmation and non EF-compatible lenses

Doug Kerr

When a Canon EOS dSLR body is fitted with an EF-series lens or a non-Canon lens that emulates the EF-lens interface, in manual focus mode, the camera will indicate when any of the AF points (or the single preselected AF point) considers that proper focus has been attained at its location in the image - a functionality called "focus confirmation".

But with a "non-communicating" lens in place (typically a non EF-compatible lens fitted via a mount adapter) the camera declines to perform this function.

It has been conjectured that this requirement is because the EOS body must know the focal length of the lens in connection with the operation of the focus detector system. I subscribe to this conjecture. (Maybe I started it!)

Here is my further conjecture as to why that might be.

At first consideration, we might think that no knowledge of focal length would be needed. After all, the image is cast on a "proxy" focal plane in the AF detector array, and we would think that thus, when the image there was in focus, it would also be in focus at the real focal plane, regardless of the focal length involved.

But that's not how phase detection AF works. Rather, for each AF detector, there are two little sub-lenses, each of which isolates the rays from a small region on the exit pupil (those two regions being on opposite sides of the axis, adjacent to the "boundary" of the exit pupil for the critical lens aperture for the particular AF detector) and directs those two sets of rays to two pixel detector arrays.

Parallel to the case of the familiar "split image prism focusing aid", the relative alignment of the images on those two arrays is interpreted as an indication of whether focus is correct and, if not, how far it is off (in some arbitrary measure).

The two arrays are not, for design convenience, actually adjacent on the AF detector chip. But the camera knows what the relative position of the images on each array should be when proper focus is attained.

Now for the punch line. I have not yet modeled the theory of this, so for the moment it is just "informed conjecture".

I believe that the interaction of these little sub-lenses with the actual lens is such that the relative location of the image on the two arrays, at proper focus, will differ with focal length. Thus the focal length in effect must be an input to the camera's interpretation of the relative position of the image on the two arrays.

As an aside, I have heard here that there are some types of adapter that do allow focus confirmation to function, presumably by giving a focal length report to the body. I believe that in one report the writer discussed the need to get an appropriate flavor of such an adapter for lenses of different focal length.

Perhaps someone here can link us back to that discussion.

Now to breakfast. Today, menu A: half grapefruit (pre-sectioned), sliced apple, sliced orange, real oatmeal with raisins and cinnamon. Served by a stunning redhead to the accompaniment of a freshly-printed summary of world and local news gleaned from the Internet. Am I spoiled or what?

Cem_Usakligil

....Now to breakfast. Today, menu A: half grapefruit (pre-sectioned), sliced apple, sliced orange, real oatmeal with raisins and cinnamon. Served by a stunning redhead to the accompaniment of a freshly-printed summary of world and local news gleaned from the Internet. Am I spoiled or what?
Affirmative :)

Cem_Usakligil

When a Canon EOS dSLR body is fitted with an EF-series lens or a non-Canon lens that emulates the EF-lens interface, in manual focus mode, the camera will indicate when any of the AF points (or the single preselected AF point) considers that proper focus has been attained at its location in the image - a functionality called "focus confirmation".

But with a "non-communicating" lens in place (typically a non EF-compatible lens fitted via a mount adapter) the camera declines to perform this function.

It has been conjectured that this requirement is because the EOS body must know the focal length of the lens in connection with the operation of the focus detector system. I subscribe to this conjecture. (Maybe I started it!)

Here is my further conjecture as to why that might be.

At first consideration, we might think that no knowledge of focal length would be needed. After all, the image is cast on a "proxy" focal plane in the AF detector array, and we would think that thus, when the image there was in focus, it would also be in focus at the real focal plane, regardless of the focal length involved.

But that's not how phase detection AF works. Rather, for each AF detector, there are two little sub-lenses, each of which isolates the rays from a small region on the exit pupil (those two regions being on opposite sides of the axis, adjacent to the "boundary" of the exit pupil for the critical lens aperture for the particular AF detector) and directs those two sets of rays to two pixel detector arrays.

Parallel to the case of the familiar "split image prism focusing aid", the relative alignment of the images on those two arrays is interpreted as an indication of whether focus is correct and, if not, how far it is off (in some arbitrary measure).

The two arrays are not, for design convenience, actually adjacent on the AF detector chip. But the camera knows what the relative position of the images on each array should be when proper focus is attained.

Now for the punch line. I have not yet modeled the theory of this, so for the moment it is just "informed conjecture".

I believe that the interaction of these little sub-lenses with the actual lens is such that the relative location of the image on the two arrays, at proper focus, will differ with focal length. Thus the focal length in effect must be an input to the camera's interpretation of the relative position of the image on the two arrays.

As an aside, I have heard here that there are some types of adapter that do allow focus confirmation to function, presumably by giving a focal length report to the body. I believe that in one report the writer discussed the need to get an appropriate flavor of such an adapter for lenses of different focal length.

Perhaps someone here can link us back to that discussion.
A very interesting article Doug, thanks. I think that your conjecture is more than simply informed.

Growing up in the time with no auto focus I am always surprised when the auto focus actually works. Therefore I am never disappointed when it either refuses to focus or picks the wrong thing. But it does seem to work most of the time. Bonus... Anyway thought you might find this interesting.
http://store.tagotech.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=139
DIY auto focus chip. There is a document (Word) link that tells you how to program the thing. Pretty cool. They sell them on ebay also.

Doug Kerr

Well, it appears that my earlier intuition may have been off base.

After some review of the geometry in what I think to be an accurate model of the Canon EOS AF detector chain, I now think that lens focal length does not affect the relative positions of the two images on the two sensors in an AF detector at the point of ideal focus.

It is, however, possible that focal length does effect the "sensitivity" of the focus determination - how much disparity there is in the positions of the two images for a certain "degree" of misfocus.

Thus it might well be that the Canon body uses lens focal length, when in the "focus confirmation" mode, to decide how wide should be the "acceptable band" of image alignment, within which the system would give focus confirmation.

But that is wholly wild conjecture.

Another possibility is that the body is intersted in the maximum aperture of the lens in place so that it can properly activate the workable collection of AF detectors.

So I must admit that I have no really supportable conjecture as to why the Canon camera insist on having a "communicating" lens in place before they will provide the focus confirmation functionality.

An interesting piece of information related to this is found in the instructions for "programming" the "EF lens emulation chip" mentioned in the link given by Duke Beattie in his recent message in this thread. (The programming instructions can be accessed from a link on the page to which the Duke's link leads.)

One can "program" that chip by a very clever scheme of manipulating the camera controls.

The instructions point out that you can program the chip to report the lens focal length, but that this is only of the obvious value (to have the focal length in the Exif metadata) and is not needed for proper operation of the focus confirmation system.

Of course, that may not turn out to be precisely so. But the statement is an interesting input into our thought process.

Another fascinating piece of information is the provision for changing, in the emulation chip, the value of a focus offset value, which the instructions point out can be used to correct a back- or front-focus situation with the lens. So perhaps there is something about the lens geometry that affects the focus determination.

Indeed, the more we know the more we learn that we don't know!

Perhaps Ken Tanaka was right, and this is all a fool's errand (that's not what he said, but . . .).

On a more definitive note, breakfast this morning will be menu B: grapefruit, apple, and orange in the first wave, followed by bacon, scrambled eggs, and homemade hashed-brown potatoes.

I'm ready, as my blood sugar is a little low (I have been fiddling with my evening dose of insulin).

Best regards,

Doug

Cem_Usakligil

...On a more definitive note, breakfast this morning will be menu B: grapefruit, apple, and orange in the first wave, followed by bacon, scrambled eggs, and homemade hashed-brown potatoes.

I'm ready, as my blood sugar is a little low (I have been fiddling with my evening dose of insulin)..
Enjoy and take good care of yourself.

Well, it appears that my earlier intuition may have been off base.

After some review of the geometry in what I think to be an accurate model of the Canon EOS AF detector chain, I now think that lens focal length does not affect the relative positions of the two images on the two sensors in an AF detector at the point of ideal focus.

It is, however, possible that focal length does effect the "sensitivity" of the focus determination - how much disparity there is in the positions of the two images for a certain "degree" of misfocus.

Hi Doug,

I'm not confident that the FL is used in the determination of optimal focus with the phase detection. I do think that the DOF differences from different focal lengths help in determining in/out of focus. The offset from the optical axis determines the angle at which the exit pupil is sampled, and the max aperture determines whether the f/2.8 or the f/5.6 sub-apertures can be used.

This post at DPReview has a nce diagram and good explanation of how the AF principle works:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1032&message=25172505

Cheers,
Bart

I'm not sure how it works, but I have an EOS chipped M42 adapter from Hong Kong for my recently acquired Zeiss 35/1.4 Distagon in ZS mount, and the focus confirmation seems very accurate, and it does report the focal length and maximum aperture (it can't detect the actual aperture, obviously) of the lens in the EXIF data.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Bart,

Hi Doug,

I'm not confident that the FL is used in the determination of optimal focus with the phase detection.

Indeed. As you might have seen from a recent message here, I have concluded that such is not the case.

I do think that the DOF differences from different focal lengths help in determining in/out of focus
That may well be.

This post at DPReview has a nce diagram and good explanation of how the AF principle works:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1032&message=25172505

The diagram is nice. The explanation really doesn't explain how it works - just some considerations.

There's a fairly good explanation here:

http://doug.kerr.home.att.net/pumpkin/Split_Prism.pdf

(starting on p 12) but it doesn't deal with the issues of this thread.

(It uses prisms rather than sublenses to explain the principle for parallelism with the split-prism focusing aid that is the main theme of the article.)

Best regards,

Doug