• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

"Push/pull" indicator in Canon raw metadata

Doug Kerr

Yesterday (as an indirect result of a link given in another thread in this forum) I acquired a really useful tool, PhotoBola's Raw Image Analyzer (a.k.a Rawnalyze). This is a program that will allow the user to ascertain many things about a raw data file, including a tricolor raw histogram. (Its functionality somewhat overlaps that of the program Iris, but it is perhaps more straightforward to use for many of the matters we might wish to examine.)

A Windows version is available here:

http://www.cryptobola.com/PhotoBola/Rawnalyze.htm

Many fascinating facts have come to my attention in reading the literature on the program and in its extensive Help facility.

One is that there will often be in the proprietary metadata in the raw file (certainly for Canon EOS cameras) a parameter I will describe as a "suggested push/pull factor". This evidently suggests to the raw development package a suggested amount by which the resulting tonal scale should be shifted from that which is "normal", as we do when compensating for over- or underexposure. ("Normal" probably has to be interpreted in terms of the "normal" algorithm used by the camera manufacturer's own raw development software.)

This is in effect a suggested initial setting of the slider on the raw development control panel that is sometimes labeled "brightness", "lightness", or even "exposure".

[I have pointed out here that this last label is not technically apt, an observation that is echoed precisely in the Rawnalyze literature, but its meaning is commonly understood. As one colleague here aptly pointed out, it allows us to make essentially the same change in the developed image that would have resulted from a greater or lesser exposure.]

My metaphorical description here of this as a "push/pull" control is of course based on the colloquial terms used in connection with the film technique of using a non-standard development to change the response curve of the film, again usually to compensate for over- or underexposure.)

Moving along, the next point was that, in modern Canon EOS dSLRs with the "highlight tone priority" feature, when that feature is in effect, the "suggested push/pull factor" in the metadata of the raw file is usually +1.0 stop.

Again, this can give us some further insight into the working of this still-somewhat-mysterious feature.

I expect that all the above is old news to the regular raw-wallopers here, but as you know that is new territory for me.

Daniel Buck

I'll have to check it out :) Haven't heard of this one

Push/Pull however, is more than an overall brightening/darkening of the negative, usually used to controll contrast, since pushing increases contrast ("over developing" the highlights and not affecting the shadows much more than normal) and pulling lessens contrast (cutting development of the highlights short, while still giving shadows near full development). So in combination with over or under exposing, you can do alot with the contrast of the negative :)

Harald Meling

1d mrk2 trouble.....

Hi!

Could I ask if anyone has an experience with eos cameras that produce white ghost?
I have eliminated lens, settings, cards a s o......
I am taking frames without the lens and a white overexposed area is formed as a line
about a tenth of the frameheight horizontally in the middle.

H E L P!
Are we looking at the Canon doctor and a 1000 pounds ?

Doug Kerr

Will Thompson suggests that this parameter in the raw file metadata should not be so much thought of as an "initial" value of the "push/pull" value but rather a "base" setting.

That is, when this parameter has the value 1 (as when highlight tone priority is in effect in the camera), we do not find the brightness/lightness/slider set to +1 Ev unit when we load the raw file, but rather to the customary 0. Thus, in that situation. presumably if we set the slider to +0.25, the actual "push" will be +1.25.

Best regards,

Doug

Will Thompson

Well Known Member
Hi!

Could I ask if anyone has an experience with eos cameras that produce white ghost?
I have eliminated lens, settings, cards a s o......
I am taking frames without the lens and a white overexposed area is formed as a line
about a tenth of the frameheight horizontally in the middle.

H E L P!
Are we looking at the Canon doctor and a 1000 pounds ?

Have you tried reinstalling the firmware?

I am taking frames without the lens and a white overexposed area is formed as a line about a tenth of the frameheight horizontally in the middle.

Hi Harald,

When shooting without the lens there may be some internal (mirror box) reflection which could cause it, but it's hard to say without an example image. Is the overexposed line in the same place when you rotate the camera 90 or 180 degrees around the optical axis? Do you see the same thing with a lens?

An image showing the phenomenon might help to diagnose the cause.

Bart