• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

EOS 7D - 22.5 x 15.0 mm lives!

Doug Kerr

For the past many moons, cries heard across the world of dSLR aficionados have been:

• More pixels - more -pixels - more pixels! (Maybe! - maybe! -maybe!)

• Bigger sensels! - Bigger sensels! - Bigger sensels!

• Full-frame! - Full-frame! - Full frame! (by which is meant a format size of nominally 36 x 24 mm)

Now Canon announces the EOS 7D (curious that it would have that model number) with a 22.5 x 15.0 mm nominal sensor size, with 18 Mpx.

I think that the death of the 22.5 x 15.0 mm format for serious digital photography has been prematurely declared.

So gang, put away your "we don't need no stinkin' onboard flash" signs.

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Doug,

As I wrote in the other news thread:
It is, on paper at least, a stunning machine indeed. It has quite a few features I'd love to have on my 5DII, especially the flexible movie formats, the wireless multi-flash support, the new 100% LCD augmented viewfinder, the digital level gauge, the environmental sealing, 8 fps burst rate and of course the new 19 points AF system. Very nice features.

But, the biggest downside is the 4.3 micron sensel pitch compared to the 6.4 micron sensels of 5DII and 1DIIIs. I have seen the images posted on the dpreview preview for high ISO shots and they look really awful to me (maybe due to the pre production camera they have used).
Sensibly, we shall have wait for the proper tests of this camera's sensor to appear (such as the DxO tests) before we can draw conclusions. But I am not very optimistic right now having seen the IQ of the samples. Maybe they should have limited this camera to 10MP just like the 40D but use the newest digic and other technologies to make it shine and thus become a real D700 killer if that has been the intent of Canon.

Cheers,