• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

shutter count

Cem_Usakligil

hi guys ,

please tell me how I myself can find out my shutter count , I am dying to know ,

thanks

Happy Halloween
Hi Ralph,

It depends on your camera. If I recall correctly, you have a 1dsIII, right? In that case, there are some software utilities on the net which can read and report the actual shutter actuations (which s/w I don't know). But I know that 5D or lower EOS cameras do not keep an actual count of the shutter actuations. For those cameras, the best you can do is to use continuous file numbering (which resets to 0 once every 10000). If it is a camera from someone else, you are in tough luck (unless it is a 1 series, that is).

Cheers,

hi guys ,

please tell me how I myself can find out my shutter count , I am dying to know ,

thanks

Happy Halloween

Hi Ralph,

As far as I know, there are no free tools to reliably extract that info from the camera. A dedicated service centre for the camera brand you are considering probably has a diagnostic tool to delve deeper in the camera's innards, if so, they can do it.

There are several fields in the extended EXIF information (see Phil Harvey's ExifTool), but they can be manipulated, therefore not reliable.

Buying from a reputable source can take away some anxiety ..., but when you are selling just be honest about the unreliable tools (I don't know exactly, but an in-the-ballpark number of actuations is ..., is also an answer).

I am probably going to sell my 1Ds Mark II backup body in the coming months myself, but can only offer my estimate, reputation, and a service notice about shutter replacement. Such is life.

Cheers,
Bart

Same here!

I'm wondering gow the price varies with actuations?

Hi Asher,

Given that the replacement cost seems to be around US$ 300 (in the USA, may differ by geography), it shouldn't have a larger influence than that. On top of that, a new shutter is spec'ed at 200K-300K actuations, so one practically gets a new camera after replacement (and new ones can also fail).

Cheers,
Bart

Ralph Honsbeek

Hi Ralph,

It's in the "Maker notes" section. The fields and names can differ per camera model, but for my 1Ds2 and 1Ds3 Raws the Tag field is called "ShutterCount".

Cheers,
Bart

Can't see it anywhere , in ACDsee I can see Maker notes, but there is no shutter count for the 1DMark3
you can see it for the 1DsMark3 ?

Doug Kerr

I recently examined files from a Canon EOS 1D Mk III and EOS 1Ds Mk II, kindly provided by Will Thompson. (And Will, that girl is really hot!)

For the EOS 1D Mk III file, ExifTool V 7.98, running under ExifToolGUI V 3.35, shows the field ShutterCount with the value 6114.

That value is credible given the history of the camera.

For that same file, GexifView, V 2009.6.26.74 shows the field Shutter Count with the value 6113.

There is evidently some difference in understanding between two authors as to how to interpret the value. I bet on ExifTool. The convention is probably that a value of 0 means 1 actuation, since there would be no need to record 0 actuations in data held in an output file, and that way the capacity of the counter is one more! Don't you just want to kill programmers who do stuff like that!​

For the EOS 1Ds Mk III file, ExifTool shows the field ShutterCount with the value 1.

For that same file, GexifView shows the field Shutter Count with the value 0.

I do not know what to make of that. Perhaps neither author has the proper decode table for the 1Ds Mk III.

I don't know what number Ralph characterizes as "fall [far?] from believable."

Of course we often have people reading or decoding the frame index number and saying it is not believable as the shutter count. True enough.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

I almost never use Photoshop, so I am not conversant with its handling of metadata.

But in connection with the test reported above, Will had at first inadvertently sent me as one of the test files a file that had been processed by Photoshop.

Although the "standard" Exif metadata had been preserved, the entire Maker Note area was gone, and it is in that area that the ShutterCount item is carried.

Best regards,

Doug

Anil Mungal

For the EOS 1D Mk III file, ExifTool V 7.98, running under ExifToolGUI V 3.35, shows the field ShutterCount with the value 6114.

That value is credible given the history of the camera.

I tried exiftool version 7.98 on eight different CR2 files from my 1D Mk III. I randomly chose images shot between April 2008 and yesterday. All files have the same value of 3624 in the Shutter Count field. Since the value didn't change and given the fact that I've shot at least 40000 frames with this body, I would suggest that ExifTool does not read/interpret this value correctly for a 1D Mk III.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Anil,
I tried exiftool version 7.98 on eight different CR2 files from my 1D Mk III. I randomly chose images shot between April 2008 and yesterday. All files have the same value of 3624 in the Shutter Count field. Since the value didn't change and given the fact that I've shot at least 40000 frames with this body, I would suggest that ExifTool does not read/interpret this value correctly for a 1D Mk III.
Ooh!

I had not looked at 1D3 CR2 files (only JPG files, which I forgot to mention) and perhaps therein lies the problem.

I guess I had better test some more files. Thanks for the alert.

Update: I have summoned some more test files, both JPG and CR2 of the same shots, for two consecutive shots. I'll see how those look here.

Best regards,

Doug

Hi, Anil,

Ooh!

I had not looked at 1D3 CR2 files (only JPG files, which I forgot to mention) and perhaps therein lies the problem.

I guess I had better test some more files. Thanks for the alert.

Update: I have summoned some more test files, both JPG and CR2 of the same shots, for two consecutive shots. I'll see how those look here.

I've tested with Raws from 1Ds2 and 1Ds3, and the Shuttercount field does increment but does not necessarily agree with the actual actuations count. I remember that the file number jumped when I swapped with a card with a higher file number, and the shuttercount field also did.

Cheers,
Bart

Doug Kerr

I wrote:

The frame index in some Canon cameras is recorded in a strange way, and so misinformed attempts to decode (even believing it to be the shutter count) it have produced a number that doesn't really seem to match the frame index but nevertheless comes from it.
However, in the EOS 1D Mk III JPG file I have here, the field reported as ShutterCount/Shutter Count is an unsigned long, and its value in hex (0xE1170000 little endian) in fact has the decimal value 6113, which is what is reported (in GexifView) for Shutter Count.

So maybe it is just a plain bum steer of some sort.

The items for FrameIndex and DirectoryIndex are similarly straightforward (give or take some ±1 complications).

Best regards,

Doug

Last edited: