• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

News To Me

Steve Robinson

I have decided to dip my big toe into the Canon waters. I've ordered a used 1D Mk II N rated E- by a reputable ;~) store in NYC. I won't be buying a Canon lens anytime soon but I will have an M42-Canon mount adapter so I can use my screw mount Pentax lenses to get started. It'll be interesting to see the results from this combination. I'll post some images next week after the 1D arrives and hope you'll give me some pointers. :~)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Congratulations Steve!

Pentax lenses are fabulous. I know you'll like the result. I should get an adapter too! Get hte right glass for your viewer for manual focus. changeover is very simple.

Asher

Steve Robinson

Thanks Asher. What is the "glass" you mentioned? Viewfinder, focusing screen, other? I'm really a babe in the Canon woods.

I guess I'll to change my signature too! ;~)

Ken Tanaka

pro member
I have decided to dip my big toe into the Canon waters. I've ordered a used 1D Mk II N rated E- by a reputable ;~) store in NYC. I won't be buying a Canon lens anytime soon but I will have an M42-Canon mount adapter so I can use my screw mount Pentax lenses to get started. It'll be interesting to see the results from this combination. I'll post some images next week after the 1D arrives and hope you'll give me some pointers. :~)

Why? More specifically, why did you choose this course? Why not just buy a current Pentax dslr if you have a preference for, or stock of, Pentax lenses? What do you believe you'll accomplish? What types of photography do you pursue?

Cem_Usakligil

Why? More specifically, why did you choose this course? Why not just buy a current Pentax dslr if you have a preference for, or stock of, Pentax lenses? What do you believe you'll accomplish? What types of photography do you pursue?
Yes, these are very good questions. I guess that Steve must have gone through a similar thought process before ordering the Canon body. I am curious to hear what his specific reasons were, if he cares to share them with us that is :)

Cheers,

Steve Robinson

Wow, Ken and Cem, you've asked some tough questions. I did not ever plan to abandon Pentax as I have a lot of gear and I will continue to shoot with it. I really like the feel of the Pentax K20D and their prime lenses. I guess I just want to see what another camera system would be like as I've not shot with any other DSLR. I don't believe that I'll be a better photographer with the Canon because I'm still me and that's not likely to change. It might force me to view things differently through the looking glass though. ;~)

Ken Tanaka

pro member
... I guess I just want to see what another camera system would be like as I've not shot with any other DSLR. ...)

And you believe that slapping Pentax lenses onto a Canon EOS body via an adapter represents a new view on your photography?

Really, Steve, I don't mean to be mean. But your intentions are silly. If you want a truly different point of view use a completely different type of camera. Or better yet, direct your energy on what you put in front of your lenses and the intellectual/creative energy that drives your photography. Playing mix an' match with 35mm single lens reflex lenses is not going to move you forward in any way.

Asher Kelman

Well, Steve,

This is a tough place but Ken is right, except for having fun. The justification for the 1DIIN is tracking birds in flight or sports, if that's what you want to do. However, you'll need the right lens, likely a 70-200 2.8L or at least a 70-200 f4.0. The latter I will sell some time.

As Ken indicates, things should start from the brain and be directed towards you imagery not ownership of "stuff". I am sure, he too has too much gear! Benjamin Kanarek has done a lot of well paid glamor/fashion work with the Pentax K10D. Except for tracking action, I can't imagine how the 1DII is better than the Pentax. Oh, I forgot, when in the bad parts of town, one can use the 1DII as a lethal weapon.

Asher

Steve Robinson

Thanks Ken and Asher for your insights. You may well be right and I'm just kidding myself to try another system. It could also be that the winter doldrums have set in and I was looking for something to do. I really don't care about the name on the front of the camera and pride of ownership doesn't matter a whit either. The 1D might just become a weight to hold the tripod steady in a stiff wind. I guess we'll see.

Good shooting.

Thanks Ken and Asher for your insights. You may well be right and I'm just kidding myself to try another system. It could also be that the winter doldrums have set in and I was looking for something to do. I really don't care about the name on the front of the camera and pride of ownership doesn't matter a whit either. The 1D might just become a weight to hold the tripod steady in a stiff wind. I guess we'll see.

Hi Steve,

Maybe you'll like it so much (it might feel natural to your hands, or you like the the image quality, or you like the weather proofing with an appropriate lens) that you will explore new subjects that you never thought of before, who knows?

Cheers,
Bart

Asher Kelman

Hi Steve,

Maybe you'll like it so much (it might feel natural to your hands, or you like the the image quality, or you like the weather proofing with an appropriate lens) that you will explore new subjects that you never thought of before, who knows?

It's worthwhile to look at Benjamin's pictures. His work is conceptualized in advance. He has a huge team he assembles for every technical and beauty aspect. The lighting he does sometimes with simple light bulbs. The camera? That's almost the very last thing. I searched it out previously, but in one shot, it's the Canon rebel he used. For much of his other work its the Pentax K10D that you already own!

I still love the Pentax lenses and have my trusty Spotmatic with my one lens. I did buy a used telephoto but never got to use it ever! I just photographed everything with the 50 mm. So when I used the 1DII it was a major piece of heavy gear for me. As Bart points out, the "heft" does feel good to the hands. Moreover, with a 70-20 2.8L the balance is wonderful. I never used the camera for sports or for birds but that would be great as the 1DII is a fast camera in getting focus and tracking. The 1DII N is the ultimate "standard" against which Rob Galbraith tested hundreds of times the ill-fated 1DIII in focus tests, to find out why it couldn't track players on a sports game! The report is an obsessional, driven, beautiful, thorough and devastating series of 23 pages that pretty well marked the 1DII for a fast replacement, LOL!

The shutter on your 1DII is good for over 100,000 shots and it can be replaced! One needs 3 MP , (See Neil Turner's breathtaking portraits and tachniques at his generously educational DG28.com. He used the Canon 30D and it served his editorial work with aplomb.

The 1DII with 8MP and 8 frames per second, is one of the peaks in Camera technology. Your recently acquired 1DII N is an improved model with a larger screen. So you have a great camera at a very good price.

Still, look at the work of Pentax owners and explore what you want to do. Then plan the picture as Ben does or roam the streets or even look at the puddles and crevices like tom Robbins and you'll find new life for the Pentax K10D.

The Canon 1DIIN still is a king in it's class. There's mostly no need for any other Canon sports camera, except for low light work where the new high ISO capabilities are revolutionary. Maybe you'll fall in love with it too! Here's it's legal to have a lover on the side!

Asher

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Steve,
Upon a day's reflection I think my note may have sounded a bit harsher than intended, particularly since we've never met. But you're quite a gentleman -- my hat's off to you for your gentile reply.

My message, however, was sincere. These days it's easy to get caught up in gear. In fact, I'd bet that most male amateur photo hobbyists are far more attracted to the consumerism than to imaging. (Women tend to be more attracted to either the social or emotional aspects of the medium than to the credit card abrasion.)

But I couldn't help noticing that you're in Billings, Montana -- Big Sky Country -- and you're bored in the winter?! I have to believe that there are only a few thousand New Yorkers and Chicagoans who would love to switch places with you right now. My point: look at your surroundings with a newcomer's eyes. And not just for cliche sweeping landscapes of mountains. Carve-out a project to capture 5-10 images that capture the essence of (our) Billings in the winter...for example.

Steve Robinson

Ken,

I was bored last week with 8 inches of new snow and temps down to -29°F but this week the temps are back into the 40's due to Chinook (snow eater) weather and I'm about to go out and shoot.