• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Canon 2x Extender New vs Old

Ralph Honsbeek

Hi there ,

I wasn't sure where to post this question , I find the forum main page a bit hectic ^^

I was just wondering what the core differences were between the Newer II Canon Extender versus the Older ones ?

Thank you

And thanks for the always kind answering to questions..

Ralph

Anil Mungal

Hi there ,

I wasn't sure where to post this question , I find the forum main page a bit hectic ^^

I was just wondering what the core differences were between the Newer II Canon Extender versus the Older ones ?

Thank you

And thanks for the always kind answering to questions..

Ralph

The mark II versions have an updated optical formula for improved performance, weather-sealing and anti-reflective surfaces.

I wasn't happy using them because auto-focus was affected (slower and more hunting) and I find that image quality degradation was worse than cropping a non-extended pic. (my testing was with a 1DmkIII and a 300 f2.8L and speed skater subjects ... you may find it works for you based on your usage)

Nill Toulme

I wasn't happy using them because auto-focus was affected (slower and more hunting) and I find that image quality degradation was worse than cropping a non-extended pic. (my testing was with a 1DmkIII and a 300 f2.8L and speed skater subjects ... you may find it works for you based on your usage)

That's interesting. The old comparisons tended to show, by reported consensus, that the extenders, especially the 1.4x, were better than cropping. But that was pre-Mark III... I don't think I've seen any such comparisons since the Mark III bodies came out, much less the Mark IV. Maybe the additional resolution of those bodies has tipped the scale away from the extenders. Hmmm...

Nill

Will Thompson

Well Known Member
Hi Ralph.

As a general rule the Canon extenders only magnify the flaws in a lens by only a slight amount more than the 1.4 or 2 X value.

I think that Anil might wish to have the lens and or TC checked against several others to make sure there is not another problem.

The 1.4x II has only improved anti-reflective surfaces in the barrel (not optics) and weather sealing added.

The EF 2x II Lens Extender has been re-designed optically and had weather sealing added.