• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Upgrading to the Canon 1D Mark IV?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
During my most recent Costa Rica trip, we had a very close-up encounter with several troops of monkeys. The images in this post were of White-faced Capuchins, which were actively feeding on a type of Cashew fruit, which must have been fairly juicy. They would repeatedly bang the fruit on the branch where they were sitting, and they hold it up to drink out of it. Very fascinating to watch.

1D2_05982.jpg

Canon 1DMk2
Canon 600L/f4 IS
ISO 500, f/4, 1/200 second

Aperture Priority at +1/3​

Don,

I see this is the venerable 1DII, the same model I still have too! You are using modest settings of USO 500 and f at 1/200 sec. What better image do you think you might get with the 1D Mark IV? IOW when, if ever, do you think you might get the upgrade?

As it is I'd be most happy to get such a picture and the action of eating the fruit is hilarious and more important, real biology!

Asher

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Asher,

Regarding camera upgrade: I wasn't tempted by the MkIII upgrade, once it all hit the fan regarding the AutoFocus performance. But the MkIV 'appears' to not have at least similar or major problems (although Rob Galbraith still doesn't give it a clean bill of health).

So if $$ were not an obstacle, I would probably go for the MkIV. The improved resolution is minimal, although desireable, but the better high ISO performance, larger and more useful LCD, the ability to fine-tune one's AF for each lens, compatibility with larger capacity CF and SD cards, not to mention HD Video, would all be nice to have. But I'm just not ready to spend the almost $5k to get it...

I don't hesitate to shoot at ISO 800 to 1250, but 1600 is kind of dicey, and 3200 is rarely useful. Probably, better high-ISO performance would be one of the biggest reasons were I to upgrade.

Asher Kelman

Hi Asher,

Regarding camera upgrade: I wasn't tempted by the MkIII upgrade, once it all hit the fan regarding the AutoFocus performance. But the MkIV 'appears' to not have at least similar or major problems (although Rob Galbraith still doesn't give it a clean bill of health).

So if $$ were not an obstacle, I would probably go for the MkIV. The improved resolution is minimal, although desireable, but the better high ISO performance, larger and more useful LCD, the ability to fine-tune one's AF for each lens, compatibility with larger capacity CF and SD cards, not to mention HD Video, would all be nice to have. But I'm just not ready to spend the almost $5k to get it...

I don't hesitate to shoot at ISO 800 to 1250, but 1600 is kind of dicey, and 3200 is rarely useful. Probably, better high-ISO performance would be one of the biggest reasons were I to upgrade.

For me, the higher ISO sensitivity would be the greatest advantage as I work the most in low light and from them onwards I'd not need the 1DII. The superb LCD and live view means to me easier work in concerts and with MF lenses respectively. However, the focus improvement over the 5D Mark II is the most remarkable for me.

I think I'd reserve the 5DII for wide angle shots and when my hands ache and in my studio where I'm on ladder by a door trying to contain a group within the frame at 24mm.

Asher

Nill Toulme

I'm happy with the Mark IV. I need the low light capability for the dark sports venues I shoot in. But then, so far, I'm also very happy with my new T2i. ;-)

Nill

Asher Kelman

I'm happy with the Mark IV. I need the low light capability for the dark sports venues I shoot in. But then, so far, I'm also very happy with my new T2i. ;-)

Nill,

The T2i has 18 MP and x1.6 multiplication factor, has a wonderful LCD screen and is light as a feather! That seem very interesting!

So how would you say it's performance is at ISO 1600 or 3200? With modern noise removal, does it make the grade to be able to acquire focus in such low light conditions where higher ISO is a must?

Asher

Asher Kelman

So who has experience on the the 7D compared to the 5D II and 1D Mark !V in acquiring focus? I like the idea that the 7D is light like the 5DII. That extra saved weight v. the 1DII means a lot over a 2 hour concert recital!

Asher

I have about a month to go until I get an EOS 5D2, as the topic here is upgrade in the Canon full frame class of cameras it may be on topic to ask:

Any last advice for someone upgrading to 5D2?

Size and price are overwhelming selling points.. and for me it will be upgrading from a DX (D300)... I will keep the MF back as a companion system...

Asher Kelman

Leonardo,

The 5DII is full size and therefore takes advantage of wide angle lenses, so important for your journey in the nature reserve. The 5DII will live up to all your expectations. My own wishes are for a second camera to give me more reach without spending more on lenses, so the x1.2 or the 1D IV and the x1.6 of the Eos 7 and Nill's Digital Rebel 550, alias, Ti2. In the difficult lighting of an orchestra stage, I'd like to have more pixels dedicated to each musician and a greater dynamic range as well as less where focus was off, as the focus of the 7D and the 1DII is more advanced.

So I like the 5DII for landscapes but also want more reach for my own low light concert needs.

Asher