• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Beijing

Steven Sinski

__DS75964-XL.jpg

NIKON CORPORATION NIKON D700
ISO- 1100
Focal Length- 48mm (48mm in 35mm)
Aperture- f/8
Exposure Time- 0.0125s (1/80)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
__DS75964-XL.jpg

NIKON CORPORATION NIKON D700
ISO- 1100
Focal Length- 48mm (48mm in 35mm)
Aperture- f/8
Exposure Time- 0.0125s (1/80)

It's amazing how internationally, "modern" this scene is. It could be in Los Angeles, San Francisco or New York. Except, perhaps the fellow selling fruit would be an Hispanic if this were in Los Angeles.

As to Asian folk in the b.g.that is normal here too!

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Hi Steve.

I'm getting the hang of your photos. There's just enough posted for me to make a judgement.

First, a point of chronology. I note your joining date was 2007, or am I mistaken? Is this some sort of reincarnation or have you been in gaol?

Not that either will affect my comments. You'd have to be Jewish, black or Moslem for me to be in any way biased. Or female, so I be been told.

Your images so far remind me very much of the old style National Geographic pictures; formal, well planned, descriptive and precise. Somewhere between holiday snaps taken by someone who knows what he is doing and an assignment photographer for a travel agency.
Design seems critical in their execution. Placement is purposeful.

Take this image as an example. The subject matter is typical of what a seasoned traveler would seek out. An indigenous man selling his wares in an up-market area of a large Asian city. The bike and sale goods add some ancient tradition to the scene which contrasts with the background and surrounding people. He's seemingly being ignores but also seems accustomed to that.
There might be an attemp at a social comment here but I fear it has been overlooked or overshadowed by the point of view and geometry of the image. The story within might well be lost with those who are more interested in what camera you used and what rules you abide by. Even the significance of the wooden stand and support on the bike might be mistaken for a prop or design detail instead of an important component of the story within.

I look forward to seeing more, Steve.
Cheers
Tom

Doug Kerr

Hi, Steven,

It is so great to have you "burst on our scene" and favor us with so many wonderful photographs. It's certainly not needed to appreciate these works, but it would fascinating to know just what caused you to visit these fascinating places.

Best regards,

Doug

Steven Sinski

Hi Steve.

I'm getting the hang of your photos. There's just enough posted for me to make a judgement.

First, a point of chronology. I note your joining date was 2007, or am I mistaken? Is this some sort of reincarnation or have you been in gaol?

Not that either will affect my comments. You'd have to be Jewish, black or Moslem for me to be in any way biased. Or female, so I be been told.

Your images so far remind me very much of the old style National Geographic pictures; formal, well planned, descriptive and precise. Somewhere between holiday snaps taken by someone who knows what he is doing and an assignment photographer for a travel agency.
Design seems critical in their execution. Placement is purposeful.

Take this image as an example. The subject matter is typical of what a seasoned traveler would seek out. An indigenous man selling his wares in an up-market area of a large Asian city. The bike and sale goods add some ancient tradition to the scene which contrasts with the background and surrounding people. He's seemingly being ignores but also seems accustomed to that.
There might be an attemp at a social comment here but I fear it has been overlooked or overshadowed by the point of view and geometry of the image. The story within might well be lost with those who are more interested in what camera you used and what rules you abide by. Even the significance of the wooden stand and support on the bike might be mistaken for a prop or design detail instead of an important component of the story within.

I look forward to seeing more, Steve.
Cheers
Tom

i have been out and about.

first and foremost I have my mother to blame/thank for getting me into photography.:)

I am simply just an observer of my surroundings. I tend to shoot what many take for granted. the infrastructure of life. I am just a bit beyond "middle age". I have worked and still do at times in the media realm (winding down with a messy nondescript history) but then there is also an unrelated flip side in careers. I prefer to be open on religious views as I see merit and compromise in all.
I have the advantage of time and fairly liberal travel opportunities. I have been shooting since 1976. first real camera was an Olympus OM-1. still have it.

like you, i'm working on it

Last edited:

Steven Sinski

Hi, Steven,

It is so great to have you "burst on our scene" and favor us with so many wonderful photographs. It's certainly not needed to appreciate these works, but it would fascinating to know just what caused you to visit these fascinating places.

Best regards,

Doug

because they're there