• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Help buying a laptop

Jim Kernicky

I'm thinking of buying a laptop, but not sure of all the specs I need. Basically, I'll use it for the internet, some word docs, and maybe dreamweaver\website updates. CD\DVD player would be nice too, but I assume they are standard. All of that is pretty basic, so I'll need enough to handle PS and pic editing. I'm thinking a ~ 15" screen should be enough.

I was thinking $500-600 (PC not Mac of course). I was told about TigerDirect.com for a great place to buy computers and related stuff. So my questions are:

1. Is Tiger a good place to fing deals, or does anyone know of a better site?

2. New or Refurbished?

3. What are the minimum specs I would need - ram, processor, etc?

Thanks!
Jim

Ruben Alfu

Hi Jim,

None of the other uses you have mentioned should be a problem after your configuration satisfy the minimum requirements for PS (assuming you´ll be using some CS version), that´s a practical guideline.

Sorry, can´t make any specific recommendations in terms of hardware. I´ve had very good experience with refurbished equipment in general.

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Jim,
May I ask why a laptop and and not a desktop?
Do you already have a desktop PC and you're looking to expand?
In any case Tiger Direct and their sister company Glogal Computer are quite reputable.
My IT department purchases from them on a frequent basis - we do about $10k/year with them - no problems to report.
I would, however try to purchase new vs. refurbished.
Most refurbished units are nothing more than customer returns which cannot be sold again as"new". Even with warranties I'd be a bit hesitant.
As for specs I'd say 2gb minimum on memory. If you can go for more, do so.
As for the processor, we could go round-and-round all night over dual core, core2Duo, Quad core...
Here's a decent link to processor comparisons: http://www.pantherproducts.co.uk/Articles/CPU/CPU Comparison.shtml they can explain it better than I can.

Keeps us posted and don't hesistate to ask more questions.

Ruben Alfu

Hi Jim,
I would, however try to purchase new vs. refurbished.
Most refurbished units are nothing more than customer returns which cannot be sold again as"new". Even with warranties I'd be a bit hesitant.

It´s reasonable to be a bit wary of refurbished units John, however, factory reburbished means, at least in theory, that the equipment has been returned to "as new" condition at the factory. Of course, it´s all a matter of convenience, depending on how much are the savings, it might be better to go for a new unit.

Mike Bailey

pro member
You might try browsing newegg.com. The user reviews there seem to be pretty much on the money, not fake like so many end up being. I've bought most of the components there to build several desktops but when I decided on a laptop ended up with a Lenovo ThinkPad (made in China, okay, not great). Like with most laptops, my very biggest complaint has been the restricted viewing angle of the screen, something to keep in mind when compared to decent desktop monitors.

Mike

http://bluerockphotography.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Blue-Rock-Photography/100527420759

Alain Briot

pro member
Jim,

Drive to store (Best Buy, Tiger, etc.), locate PC laptop in $550 price range with the largest screen and as much processor speed, Ram and HD space as possible, check you like all other features, pay, drive back home, use it. If unsatisfied return it then start process again.