Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Photography Discussions > Riskit!

Riskit! Explore new areas. Critique will be tough love!

Old December 17th, 2012, 11:46 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Default Derivatives of Slow shutter Capture

Asher Kelman: Child at Play

Original

Asher Kelman: Play_# 2

Processed

Your comments are welcome!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.

Last edited by Asher Kelman; December 20th, 2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old December 18th, 2012, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
[CENTER]

Asher Kelman: Child at Play

Original

Your comments are welcome!

Asher
Asher,

I like the original version better. I think the processed version takes away most of the mystery in the original image and replaces it with digital artifacts, which is not say that its bad but I feel there is much more going on in the original version. Its much more difficult in the processed image to make out if the child is actually at play as your title suggests. For me the only interesting element in the processed version is the child's face which is morphed into some kind of a creepy doll figure and its more abstract in that way. If you hadnt posted the original I would have different feelings about the processed image but looking at them together I definitely feel closer to the first image.
Old December 18th, 2012, 05:52 AM

Hi Asher

I'd prefer the first one, too.
But for me it is yet not there, where it should be.
It should be either more abstract so that the boy vanishes a bit more or there should be a tick more of realism on the boy. (hope i found the right expressions :-)) )

I want to direct your interest to the german photographer Heinz Teufel, who experiments in what he calls "gestic photography", it is similar to your picture here - have a look (and scroll down a bit ...)!

Wolfgang,

I've an affinity for that work and appreciate the link.

Asher
Old December 18th, 2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan Ali View Post
If you hadnt posted the original I would have different feelings about the processed image but looking at them together I definitely feel closer to the first image.
Zeeshan,

That's useful feedback.

I realize now that I should have left the images untitled and then show the processed one first and that would allow reactions without the picture being shown up by the gentler and more informative original.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old December 20th, 2012, 06:49 AM

Hi Asher, I quite like them both. I try to do the same in my ongoing family documentation process, i.e. try and show life as it was at the moment I pressed the shutter. And you have that so well in your capture of a fleeting moment.
Old September 3rd, 2017, 04:14 PM

I just rediscovered this and must do more!

Asher

Old September 16th, 2017, 06:53 AM

I prefer the first ( out of 2 posted ).
The human mind struggles to find something familiar. To find balance. To find some familiar emotion content.

Or else, it starts to conjure up interpretations of its own. Neither good nor bad. Just the way it is.

The second image is neither here nor there. The choice of colors..to dark without adding to artistic contrast. Unharmonized for the mental color palette.

Just my thoughts.
Old September 16th, 2017, 09:25 AM
Administrator

I like best the first then the second. One can hardly see the eyes which is an important point in the photograph.

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder