Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > Entry Digital Photography

Entry Digital Photography Entry to a digital world can be eased. Try us!

Old February 6th, 2017, 11:21 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Nagel View Post
I just leave this here:

Found in [REDACTED] in Munch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael nagel
Asher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
If this is a metaphor, what can it mean?
Does it need to be one?

Best regards,
Michael

Michael,

In fact, all language is made up from individual metaphors. That's all we have.

In art, the picture does not have to be a metaphor, of course. It can simply be a record of what someone might observe. Still, your picture is interesting enough to be amusing. More than that it has a message within it by the person who tied the string: "Please do not open this door, I wish to keep you out, even though you could easilly get rid of the string. I hope you will respect my inherently obvious wishes!"

At this point, your photograph has already worked its way beyond being merely a simple record of what one might see.

I merely wonder what else this might represent, such as the difference between what one can do and what one shouldn't do. After all you have shown a point of vulnerability in someone's attempt at some "defense" of privacy.

I would argue, that when one revisits this unusual photograph, it works to be more than humorous and can lead us to explore ideas of vulnerability of others.

So that is why I posed the question.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old February 6th, 2017, 11:38 AM

Asher,
Quote:
At this point, your photograph has already worked its way beyond being merely a simple record of what one might see.

I merely wonder what else this might represent, such as the difference between what one can do and what one shouldn't do. After all you have shown a point of vulnerability in someone's attempt at some "defense" of privacy.
The title - Security Concept - already provides some guidance.

You can see it as an ill-fated attempt to achieve some security by someone who doesn't know better or - on the other end of the spectrum - security theatre.

All depends on your state of mind...

Best regards,
Michael
Old February 6th, 2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Asher,

The title - Security Concept - already provides some guidance.

You can see it as an ill-fated attempt to achieve some security by someone who doesn't know better or - on the other end of the spectrum - security theatre.

All depends on your state of mind...
That's the beauty of art which is incompletely defined. Each time one visits one can find new meanings. That is what I believe some of the very best art does, it allows us to muse and so make new ideas possible.

Thanks again for sharing both your chance humerus find and giving us a reason to escape and use our imaginations.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old February 19th, 2017, 12:28 AM

Seen in a restaurant last Friday:

Best regards,
Michael
Old February 19th, 2017, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Seen in a restaurant last Friday:

Michael,

I presume the was some other part of the sign that is either excluded or didn't switch on!

Such images may become part of your vintage lighting collection. Just for how long more will neon lights be made? LED lights are so inexpensive, but art wise, those glass tubes do have a special charm.

Asher

Old February 20th, 2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
I presume the was some other part of the sign that is either excluded or didn't switch on!

Such images may become part of your vintage lighting collection. Just for how long more will neon lights be made? LED lights are so inexpensive, but art wise, those glass tubes do have a special charm.
It was the 'Happy' part of 'Happy Hour'.
It is the rearward reflection of the sign. The dotted line in the center is a reflection of LED lights.
If you look closer, you will see the reflection of some bottles behind the bar in the lower half of the picture.

Best regards,
Michael
Old April 20th, 2017, 10:10 AM

Not the usual place for traffic signs...

Best regards,
Michael
Old April 20th, 2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Not the usual place for traffic signs...

Michael,

Have you ever taken such signs home? That's my impulse, LOL!

Asher

Old September 12th, 2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Have you ever taken such signs home? That's my impulse, LOL!
No. It would still be theft and I don't have the place either.

Do you see the face?

Best regards
Michael
Old September 12th, 2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
No. It would still be theft and I don't have the place either.

Well, Michael,

I have often rationalized that they would never reuse such downed signs but rather trash then instead. "Thus spoke my conscience!"

But I realized that my wife would not tolerate that coming into the house on top of the wind blown palm leaves I can't resist collecting!

Michael,

That is superb for a face! What a 👍 💡 for a 🚂!

Looks like Thomas train set!

Asher

Old September 12th, 2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
This is from the archives - I liked the colour contrast expressing cold and warmth:

Michael,

I have to come back to this as it's extraordinarily handsome, simple and powerful.

What is it exactly?

Asher