• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Last Shot of the Sunflower Series

Chris Calohan

14598107342_94f2c99996_o_d.jpg

Death Rides a Pale Horse: Chris Calohan​

Chris Calohan

I am so disappointed in the inability of the internet photo servers to differentiate between varying shades of black...there is such a wonderful blend of blacks in the BG and the shadows that just won't translate.

I am so disappointed in the inability of the internet photo servers to differentiate between varying shades of black...there is such a wonderful blend of blacks in the BG and the shadows that just won't translate.

Hi Chris,

It depends on the display calibration. I can see the shadows on my display, as if the flowers were crying, but the ambient light viewing conditions must not be too bright. Lifting the shadows a bit would make it easier to see.

Cheers,
Bart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
14598107342_94f2c99996_o_d.jpg

Death Rides a Pale Horse: Chris Calohan​

Chris,

I'll look at this on my Eizo monitor upstairs. Right now, the bg is pure black. If this doesn't trespass on your design and intent, could you consider adding black space to the left of the image so all the flowers are fairly included.

Asher

Robert Watcher

I can see the variations in the background, on my Macbook Air - using Safari web browser. I don't colour correct my monitor and my screen brightness is set around 5 steps from the brightest. Don't know if it is as full of tone as you had imagined, but it is there and does add interest to the image.

I do agree with Asher that the flowers hitting up against the left edge in particular, takes away from the shot. Background around the perimeters would give more breathing space.

----

Chris Calohan

Good idea on the additional space to the left. In PS, the differentiation is sharply clear as it is on my sectional test print so I'll chalk it up to the internet's inability to properly translate black on black.

Like the others, the fellows to the left really need some space but I must say the emotion of mourning coming across from these flowers is undeniable. Well done!