Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Photography Discussions > Sports

Sports Traditional Sports, as well as Dance, and other organized activites which involve human bodies in motion.

Old May 14th, 2013, 06:33 PM

Default Ice Car Racing

A popular winter sport in Thunder Bay takes place on frozen Lake Superior. Enthusiasts clear enough snow from an inlet to form a racetrack. The races differ depending on whether the car tyres have chains, studs or are just plain rubber. Most Sundays from January to March, a couple of dozen cars compete before a few hundred spectators. This photo was taken just after an afternoon's racing. Some cars were already departed, with the track being ploughed back to smoothness in preparation for the following week's racing.

We call the hills in the background the Sleeping Giant after an aboriginal legend. They are emblematic of Thunder Bay, a major tourist attraction and overlooked the underwater site of Canada's first silver mine in the 1860s. Cheers, Mike.

Old May 14th, 2013, 07:42 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Stones View Post
A popular winter sport in Thunder Bay takes place on frozen Lake Superior. Enthusiasts clear enough snow from an inlet to form a racetrack. The races differ depending on whether the car tyres have chains, studs or are just plain rubber. Most Sundays from January to March, a couple of dozen cars compete before a few hundred spectators. This photo was taken just after an afternoon's racing. Some cars were already departed, with the track being ploughed back to smoothness in preparation for the following week's racing.

We call the hills in the background the Sleeping Giant after an aboriginal legend. They are emblematic of Thunder Bay, a major tourist attraction and overlooked the underwater site of Canada's first silver mine in the 1860s. Cheers, Mike.

Michael,

Looks Fabulous to me. Is this with the new black digicam?

I notice the ad placards. What about food stands?

............. so how long are you there?

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old May 14th, 2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
Michael,

Looks Fabulous to me. Is this with the new black digicam?

I notice the ad placards. What about food stands?

............. so how long are you there?

Asher
Yes, my 47th photo with the Sigma Asher. There's a hotdog/hamburger/fries stand, porta-potties, etc. The racing starts early in the afternoon and continues for 4-5 hours. The current inlet has been in use for about four years. The previous inlet was more open to the lake with the cars prone to skid off the track and toward open water - ugh. Happily no car went down but a plough did break through the ice in a shallow section with no casualties apart from cold legs for the driver. Until a couple of years ago, motorcycles were used for ice racing, too. Cheers, Mike.