• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Sucessor to Canon PS G1 X?

Doug Kerr

The site Canon Rumors says as follows regarding expected Canon product announcements at the upcoming CP+ show in Tokyo 2013.02.13-16):

• Canon G1 X Replacement. This camera will be slimmer, it will lose the optical viewfinder and the lens is most likely 24-120 f/2-3.9. As I’ve said before, it will be a fair bit of money. I’d say around $700.​

If this turns out to be accurate, we might assume that the new machine would have an EVF.

If so, then clearly the EVF performance (including, among other things, the effective lag) would be important in the value of the camera to me and I'm sure many others.

I'll be watching for the actual announcement.

The G1 X itself has a 23.4 mm (diagonal) sensor. That would result in a Flatzenhof factor of about 1.8.

In inverse Vidicon bottle diameter notation, that sensor size could be described as 1/0.705 inch.

In APS notation, that would be described as APS-zip, "not really like any APS delivery crop" (actually true of "APS-C" sensors).

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

PowerShot G2 X.

Apparently no integrated eyepiece viewfinder, provision for an external EVF!

wpid-G1XII-2.jpg

linked from canonrumors.com​

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Doug,

Now that folk have gotten over the wonder of the EVF, the luxury of the optical viewer is being appreciated so much more. Thank goodness that the Pentax K-3 and Pentax 645D have glass for a light path to the eye! Canon seemed to appreciate that with their cameras!

Unless the refresh times are almost immediate, to me EVF is a technology pushed on us a little before it's time!

Asher