• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Epson Stylus Photo R800 - nozzle clogs

Doug Kerr

I use an Epson Stylus Photo R800 ink jet printer. Often I don't use it for a week or more, which might be a factor in the situation I will describe.

Often when I start a printing project, I find I have banding (often with thin bands). Running a nozzle check pattern always shows a few nozzles not printing.

I then run the cleaning routine. Often I must run it two or even three times until every nozzle is printing.

I think that a cleaning run consumes as much as 10% of the capacity of the ink cartridges, so this occurrence is economically disastrous (not to mention an operational pain). (That would be about $11.00 per cleaning cycle, maybe $33.00 per occurrence!)

Is there any regimen I can use to avert this? For example:

- should I run a nozzle check pattern every x days if there has been no actual use, to keep the paths clear?
- does it matter if I keep the printer powered up all the time (I do, although it is a waste of energy, and I probably should get away from that).

Will Thompson has suggested that perhaps the printer does some kind of "priming" when powered up (God knows, it does something!) and perhaps I should keep it powered down between projects, and maybe even power it up every x days if there has been no real use.

Is it possible that I might need my head assembly replaced, for example?

Thanks.

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Doug,
I've similar problems with my printer(s) over the years. There's often a large time gap between prints.
I've found the only real answer is to print often. It doesn't have to be an image worthy of reproduction, just excercise the device. Also, one 5x7 will keep it clear just as well as an 8x10. Less cost in paper and ink.
I print one of the targets used to generate printer profiles every 2 or 3 days, never longer. It serves a few purposes- you get a good spread in the color range, nozzles are working for a goodly amount of time and you also get to check alignment (all those nice little color boxes better line up!)
If you don't have one of those targets laying around, let me know. I'll email you a set.

Doug

I have an R1800 and had an R800 before that. The R1800 is a somewhat later model that the R800, has a wider gamut and is perhaps less prone to "clogging". I leave it for months at a time, perhaps as much as three months and then it prints straight away without problems.

When I did have the R800, though, I did have a problem with "clogging" though it was actually air in the lines. I was letting the ink levels get too low when I changed the cartridges. It is not such a problem with the R1800 but I suggest you try being very conservative about when you change cartridges with the R800 (and I poresume you're using Epson cartridges).

Putting a piece of paper through the printer every month or so may be a good idea but every two or three days just doesn't sound right. I only had the R800 for less than a year but I did keep a log and I left it without printing for a month on three occasions and don't remember that being a problem.

I also calculated ink usage on my R1800 including costs of the cleaning associated with changing a cartridge. The results are in the R1800 Photo-i forum in a thread called "Give me a reason to upgrade" but I think I found that more like 3% than 10%.

Regards,
Murray

Doug Kerr

Doug

I have an R1800 and had an R800 before that. The R1800 is a somewhat later model that the R800, has a wider gamut and is perhaps less prone to "clogging". I leave it for months at a time, perhaps as much as three months and then it prints straight away without problems.

When I did have the R800, though, I did have a problem with "clogging" though it was actually air in the lines. I was letting the ink levels get too low when I changed the cartridges. It is not such a problem with the R1800 but I suggest you try being very conservative about when you change cartridges with the R800 (and I poresume you're using Epson cartridges).

Yes, I am using Epson cartridges. I let them run as long as the machine will let me! I may need to give that up. It's a false economy, likely, as I use up a lot of ink (of every flavor) when I run a cleaning cycle to get a few nozzles of one color painting again.

I may want to look into moving to an R1800.

Thanks for your input.

Best regards,

Doug

Hi Doug

I took to replacing cartridges at the first warning light with the R800.

It's the R1900 now and I don't think it is very much different to the R1800 for quality though the cartridges are smaller.

Regards,
murray

Doug Kerr

Hi, Murray,

Hi Doug

I took to replacing cartridges at the first warning light with the R800.

Probably a good plan.

It's the R1900 now and I don't think it is very much different to the R1800 for quality though the cartridges are smaller.

We are actually toying with the idea of buying a refurbished R1800, as there are times we could take advantage of the greater size capability.

I had always thought of the R1800 as "just" a wider R800, but evidently it is advanced in some ways. Is that your understanding?

Will it print on CD's and DVD's (like the R800)?

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Hi, Murray,

I also calculated ink usage on my R1800 including costs of the cleaning associated with changing a cartridge. The results are in the R1800 Photo-i forum in a thread called "Give me a reason to upgrade" but I think I found that more like 3% than 10%.

Would you be able to give me a link to that report?

Thanks so much.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Hi, Murray,

Hi Doug

Here it is : http://www.photo-i.co.uk/BB/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=289&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

You'll need to read through it to find the relevant bits....
Indeed, but there is a lot of stuff in it.

What is fascinating is the need to develop an ink management strategy that is optimum given how much ink the machine wastes in various housekeeping activities!

It sounds like a good one is:

1. Change as soon as possible after the "first warning".

2. Change any tanks then that are at less than 25% (or maybe some other smaller number).

I still need to gather all the wisdom from that thread, then possibly do some more tests here to refine my own data.

Ah, the mind of Epson!

By the way, the current plan here is to sit tight with the R800 (although it turns out that Epson has the R1900 on sale now for USD 399 with free shipping - the same price as a refurbished R1800).

Thanks for all your help in this.

Best regards,

Doug

Hi Doug

I think somewhere between 15% and 20% rather than 25%. Changing the cartidges takes out 3% of each cartridge after all.

The thing that surprised me about that thread when I went back to it after quite some time - around 48,000 hits!

Regards,
Murray

Doug Kerr

Hi, Murray,

Hi Doug

I think somewhere between 15% and 20% rather than 25%.

Yes, that makes sense.

Changing the cartidges takes out 3% of each cartridge after all.

In fact I took some data on that this afternoon. On my R800, the magenta tank was well beyond first warning, and the yellow one at about 20%, so I decided to change both. First I took a screen shot of the status window so I could look at changes in the reported levels after charging.

Of course, owing to the unknown granularity of the report, and the fact that I did not make calculations to greater precision than that of my measurement of column heights (oh, the curse of an engineering education), there is considerable exposure to experimental error. But, that having been said, the calculated decline in the cyan tank was about 4% of full scale, the red and blue tanks about 2-3%, and the gloss optimizer about 4%.

I decided not to run a cleaning cycle just for the data. The next time I find I need one, I will be careful to capture before and after column heights on the status window.

Update: I just now ran a nozzle test print, and find that there are many blue nozzles dead. (It is the blue nozzles with which I have the most trouble.) It may be that there is some permanent illness there. This may in fact lead me to replace the printer. I can buy a refurbished R800 with a full set of ink tanks for USD 139 delivered (a set of ink tanks costs me about USD 115 including shipping), and most shops want a minimum of USD 175.00 to work on one! But I might instead spring for a refurbished R1800. But for the same price I can buy a new R1900 (now on sale at Epson. Decisions, decisions!)

Further report: two head cleaning cycles have not cleared the many blue nozzles that are dead.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Hi, Murray and others,

Well, enough of all this. We have just ordered an Epson Stylus Photo R1900 from B&H Photo-Video. USD 325.00 after rebate, shipping to here about USD 47.00, no sales tax.

We will sell our remaining ink inventory for the R800 on eBay.

Onward and upward!

Best regards,

Doug

I have an EPSON 2200, I don't know and don't want to know the features of "latter models" since I'm just beginning to have some fun with mine.

I almost did not use it for years since I was conscious of $60 to $70 ink purchasing costs.

So I went the way of external tanks that cost less than one time original cartridges and have a huge amount of ink.

The other advantage is that the tanks are easily user-refillable. Original Cartridges have a chip that prevents you from just refilling them with ink, but the system I got comes with a chip that overrides that.

I had to do a bit of adjustment with the printers profile to get the desired colors, and that is an on-going process, but prints are as good as the ones with original inks as far as I can see. (anecdotal information of course)

My next project is to set up the auto guillotine and paper roll working...

Doug Kerr

Hi, Leonardo,

So I went the way of external tanks that cost less than one time original cartridges and have a huge amount of ink.

Do you know if that system is available for the Epson Stylus Photo R1900? Or can you give me a link to the site of the provider of your system?

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

CISXM2200DYEA.jpg

Continuous Ink System CIS For Epson 2100 2200 Printer

I got it from eBay since it is the easiest way for me to order things (you can pay with Paypal etc) it was $62.99 and came with everything needed...

this is what they say:

Special design for a low cost 7 colors continuous bulk ink system for Epson Stylus Photo 2100 2200 Printers.

All of our systems and parts are Brand New and Professionally assembled.

Seven compact, seven separated larger color compartments, pre-filled with 770ml high quality UV DYE Ink. True system ready for "Plug & Play".

Ink color: Photo Black(T0341), Cyan(T0342), Magenta(T0343), Yellow(T0344), Light Cyan(T0345), Light Magenta(T0346), Light Black(T0347)

Our high quality UV Dye Based Ink, more vibrant colors and crisper blacks, fast drying time, even on the glossy paper. Use on any type of paper

Complete color English installation instruction on CD. The easiest way to install Continuous Ink System. Anyone can do it within 5 minutes.

7 CIS (CONTINUOUS INK SYSTEM) cartridges which is NON-SPONGE CARTRIDGE, Pre-assembled with Silicon tubes, one set of support arms, 7 syringes (one for each color). Such silicon tubes prevent them becoming hard in winter, and avoid the disadvantage of big resistance on cartridge carrier.

LATEST CHIP SET will reset to 100% full when the ink meter drops below 10%. This prevents unnecessary charging, save your even more money on the ink and prolongs the printers' life.

This systems will not clean the printer head and charge the ink before every use.

Refillable ink tank allow countless refill. Save up to 90% your inkjet cost.

With our CIS, the cartridges act just like genuine ink cartridge, the only difference is you don't have to remove the cartridges when you run out of ink. Just simply purchase a new supply of any color before you run out of ink and just pour the ink into the tank.

I was reading that myself and discoveryng how lucky I am not having problems since I was doing some of the wrong things mentioned:

*got cheap system AND inks on eBay
*pay no attention to where the tanks shoud be placed in relation to cartriges

... but, so far so good. I should begin shopping for the ink

* ah yea, I don't even know if I got dye or pigment !

why does everything has to be this complicated ? ... or... I'm happy that I did it my way:

a) get gadget b) open and assemble it ... c) read instruction manual ... LOL

Not at all, so far there has been no problem with coverage, the tubes that transport the ink don't show any air bubbles, so there is no mechanical problems -so far-...

Some images I have printed with Glossy Photo Paper from EPSON look fantastic, deep black and all, but I'm working on the EPSON controls, for example:

do you go

*Photo Realistic
*Natural Colors

or

"Printer Manages Colors"
"Photoshop Manages Colors"

Do you check "EPSON natura colors" or live un checked?

I thin it may be time for READING THE MANUAL for me...

There are lots of continuous ink systems. Some may be good some may be disasters. You definitely need to get pigment ink systems at least otherwise why bother with an R1800/R1900 etc - you might as well get an R1400. However, there are two other factors. One is that there is an overhed cost to buying a continuous ink system and you usually need to be printing a large number of prints per year to justify it economically. The other is that many non-Epson ink sytems may kill the printer, though it may take a while. I remember reading an article though I wouldn't know where to find it (other than an Epson site). Epson ink cartridges are a lot more complex than just spurting ink onto paper and perform tasks essential to the maintenance of the printer as well.

Regards,
Murray

There are lots of continuous ink systems. Some may be good some may be disasters. You definitely need to get pigment ink systems at least otherwise why bother with an R1800/R1900 etc - you might as well get an R1400. However, there are two other factors. One is that there is an overhed cost to buying a continuous ink system and you usually need to be printing a large number of prints per year to justify it economically. The other is that many non-Epson ink sytems may kill the printer, though it may take a while. I remember reading an article though I wouldn't know where to find it (other than an Epson site). Epson ink cartridges are a lot more complex than just spurting ink onto paper and perform tasks essential to the maintenance of the printer as well.

Regards,
Murray

In my case I rather send the printer in to battle knowing that it may be deadly than having it sitting idle in my studio (it has a big footprint too)

The best alternative would be to get the correct inks, and that is definitively something to work on.

Then what you said about use. Since I got the ink system I have been updating my portfolio to show to clients. Today I went to my first such visit here in Bolivia. I had so much fun just doing that, (I ran out of paper).

So, yes, if you have a printer that works at a fraction of the cost (you also have to take in to account the time saved in not having to get the original cartridges and changing them x 10) it is difficult to think that you are not going to find things to print...

I had to do a bit of adjustment with the printers profile to get the desired colors, and that is an on-going process, but prints are as good as the ones with original inks as far as I can see. (anecdotal information of course)

I am curious about the ongoing profiling process- what are the variables?
Edwin

"
I am curious about the ongoing profiling process- what are the variables?
Edwin"

Edwin, I'm probably doing it the wrong way since I refuse to ask for directions. What I do is to go to FILE>PRINT, and adjust the color, and density sliders in the printing interface. I run son tests adjusting Cyan, Magenta and Yellow according to a given paper. When I'm ok with the results I save the settings under that paper name. This is my profile. The profile I have for my PhaseOne back is something totally different, so I'm sure this is probably not "it", but I will do some more research later.

There is a lot of variables that I'm supposed to be dialing in this interface that I don't know what they are, like the one that asks me if Photoshop or The Printer should control colors... or "vivid", perceived or saturated...

On the one hand I'm not printing fine art, so I don't want to take a 6 month workshop on "mastering the craft of fine art EPSON printing" but on the other, it would't hurt to know how to make decent prints ...

Thanks,
all the very best of luck with that
I think your right in that the paper choice in the epson driver chooses the appropiate profile
ie different paper setting= different colors.
edwin

This post is making me do all my homework.
The ink that I'm using is:
"pre-filled with 770ml high quality UV DYE Ink. "
... which brings me to the obvious question: what is the difference with DYE and Pigment ??
I found most answers here http://www.oddparts.com/ink/faq19.htm
Hi Leonardo

The main difference is in terms of longevity of the print. Pigment ink is generally much better (and the printer and paper have a bearing too). potentially it can range from a few months for the worst dye inks to over a hundred years for the best pigments. There's lots of information on Wilhelm Research though probably none for third party inks. Many people regard using pigment inks for longevity as particularly important for prints they may sell.

I don't know what the effect of putting dye based inks in the printer will be but if you were going to do that it would have made more sense to have got a 1240 (now R1400) which is a dye-based printer and much cheaper than the 2200 (now R2880) with probably no loss of quality (maybe even an improvement).

The conventional view is that the most important thing is to calibrate your monitor with a colorimeter such as the Eye One Display 2 (some of the cheaper ones or obselete ones may not work so well or even be counterproductive). Then if you are using Epson inks and papers the standard paper profiles are usually pretty close. Well, that's the case for Epson printers released in the last three or four years or so. The standard profiles for the 2200 are not as good and custom profiles will help even with Epson inks. If you are using non-standard inks or even non-Epson papers then custom profiles may be even more desirable. If you have standardised on particular papers it may be cheaper just to purchase a custom profile or two. Alternatively you can purchase a system that allows you to create your own. ...but the monitor profile is much more important (which you may well be doing anyway).

Epson Australia have some very useful PDFs that give an overview of the colour management process for printing. You can find one specific to your operating system and version of Photoshop here.

Regards,

Murray