• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Herons and Egrets

Chris Calohan

32883875220_553eaa38bd_b_d.jpg

A Stick For Mama: Chris Calohan

33189464292_c69277793d_b_d.jpg

The Mating Game: Chris Calohan

32790883372_e5ddf3638b_b_d.jpg

Touch and Go's: Chris Calohan (Composite Image)

31998236674_5485a95643_b_d.jpg

Down the Hatch: Chris Calohan

32610134592_99c53a6125_b_d.jpg

Watching and Waiting: Chris Calohan

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Audubon couldn't have done better. But you, Chris, do this with a lens and the bird live to see another day.

Audubon, like other flawed great men, became famous with achievements that depended on practices we might frown appn today. In his case, by hunting down, killing, stuffing and drawing these wonderful creatures.........and is the namesake of a "Society" that protects wild creatures especially birds. If he had your camera in his hands, would he needed to have killed them too?

Anyway, your pictures are so sharp, densely colored and superbly seen! Who needs to kill them?

Asher

Chris Calohan

In answer to your query, these were all shot with the Nikon D500 coupled to a Nikkor 200-500 which, with the DX format gives me an effective range of 300-750. Essentially, I had the same focal length crop factoring with the D810 but not the speed of focus lock and tracking capacity and incredible clarity at each end of the lens.

Asher Kelman

In answer to your query, these were all shot with the Nikon D500 coupled to a Nikkor 200-500 which, with the DX format gives me an effective range of 300-750. Essentially, I had the same focal length crop factoring with the D810 but not the speed of focus lock and tracking capacity and incredible clarity at each end of the lens.

Did you mean the D500 gave everything that the 810 would have delivered, but for focus speed and tracking, because you do have incredible focus with your combo!

Asher

Asher Kelman

No, I meant the D500 beats the stew out of the D810 for focus lock and tracking.

I had to look these up. The D500 is 18 months newer and has 151 focus points to 50 and at 1.6 mag about the same number of pixels to the reduced field. It is also substantially ($800), less expensive to boot!

I am more familiar with Canon DSLRs and they also have great glass, but not a 200-500! However, they have a 200-400 with a built in x1.4 expander, that is pretty damn good....and magnificently outrageously expensive. I found my 300mm 2.8 so unwieldy that I started to think of getting a helper to lug it for me on treks.

Thanks goodness, the Nikon and Canon lenses can be used with the Sony A7R DSLR, but perhaps the Sony A99II would be a more smart choice for its rigidity and use of Minolta lenses. Like the D500 it has a Pentaprism and fabulous focus. I wouldn't trust the Sony E mount for your 200-500 lens! Not strong enough, I'd imagine, although birders probably have written on this extensively.

Asher