• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Some water pictures with kids having fun!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I think there's something really special about water. It has fascination for us as children and then we get to forget all the wonderful properties that so beguile us: ripples, reflections, flowing forms, spray in ones face or surprsing someone else. It can cool us and sooth our nerves and yet it's exciting too.

Children playing in water bring us back to this magnetic attraction we once had.

_MG_1764_Girl in water shower.jpg

Asher Kelman Girl With blue bucket testing the water wall

The girl was trying to figure out where the water was coming from. Her feet on in maybe 2-3 inches of water, that's all. One minute there was a shower above her, then a shooting stream of water and then just water on the surface, streaming down the wall. Anyone know where this is?

Asher

Asher Kelman

Our little girl is discovering how her feet can make change the flowing water.

_MG_1751 little girl selected top edited cropped600pixels.jpg

Asher Kelman Making Ripples

Asher

P.S. Notice how I processed them differently. Could be she changed her clothes, a lot of kids do, but otherwise it's just that I work on each image separately!

From my series on Le Havre :

24.jpg

Cedric Massoulier - Week-end in Le Havre

Kids are a bit distant... but they are without any doubt playing with water ;)

Asher Kelman

Hi Cedric,

Glad to see you photograph. Yes the kids are fascinated by the water. I guess folk don't mind the stones!

Asher

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Asher,
Hey, you visited the Crown Fountain, eh? I'm sorry I missed you. (I don't check for private messages with enough rigor.) I live practically across the street from Millennium Park.

I've spent nearly five years photographing the Park since it opened. The Crown Fountain represented a special subject for me, as I was honored to work with Jaume Plensa, the Fountain's designer, and others on a definitive book chronicling its background and development. After over two years of work the book was finally published by Hatje Cantz last fall and is available at amazon.com and various museum and art books shops. It really is a terrific book (if I do say so myself) with an engaging and informative narrative written by Keith Patrick. Here are most of the images I provided for the book.

Needless to say, I've just about had my fill of shooting the Fountain. But I do often visit with a camera and, even after shooting thousands of frames of it at all times of day and in all seasons and weather I still often see something I just can't resist shooting.

Here's one from last year that's not in the book. These brothers were determined to figure out where the water goes and why it stays in place on such a flat surface. (I've seen visitors of -all- age groups and both genders make similar investigations there.

113135837.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

I'm so sorry I missed you, Ken!

I was working all the time, being shuttled by handlers from one photo-op to another in the Annual Meeting of the League of american Orchestras. I felt cheated that we only had sunday several hours free and then my wife had to meet with someone being considered for a job. Actually, the person was very interesting and took us on a quick site-seeing tour of the edge of the lake. So my stay was a whirlwind visit and I now need to come back and make amends.

I felt humbled, coming from Los Angeles, for except for Grand Avenue, there's little in the way of the "boulevard of architecture" of a great city. Yes one can the experience driving on the 10 freeway as one glimpses building occasionally, but there's nothing like looking at the Chicago buildings from either the streets, the new Modern Art Museum or the great bridge!

I will return and am looking forward to more of the music and art. I'll be showing more of my pictures. Yours, of course have been my inspiration!

Asher

Girl Sailing

A candid from a visit to our local botanical gardens with a friend ...

(image will be fixed > 6pm EST)

girl-sailing-Original-3186.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

A candid from a visit to our local botanical gardens with a friend ...

(image will be fixed > 6pm EST)

girl-sailing-Original-3186.jpg

Edward Bussa Sailing Boat in a City Fountain

The shape of the stone rims and the columns of reflecting water relfecting like crystal are appealing. The little girl attentive to her boat makes the picture. Quite a mememnto and also fun for us to see. Her hair backlit is a nice feature, but I'd love to have caught a little of her face too. Maybe you did?

If you "fix" the image, post the new version separately as I'd love to see what you might change! It's nice as is. Here we have the added fascination of making an object, the boat, follow one's orders, so to speak. Water is such a central and intrigueing part of our lives, (in fact, all chemical reactions require some water generally to proceed)!

The tub, or trough of the pond and fountain is very sculptural. We hardly see such things as water troughs these days as our current horses drink gasoline instead!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Let me add more to my Millenium Park Fountain series.

Here the children are fascinated with shadows. The boy was seeing how it moved with his head. The others were interested more in relaxing or reflections.

_MG_1739kids checking shadows and reflections_cropped_600.jpg

Asher Kelman Shadows and Reflections

Then this toddler started off tentatively on its own, braving the water. Meanwhile the guy behind on his scooter, waitred impatiently as if his whole routine was being screwed by the toddlers being in his way!

_MG_1679 baby walking, "Yes I Can!".jpg

Asher Kelman Baby walking, "Yes I Can!"

There's more to follow shortly! Mine are just snaps on observing how kids react to the physics and fun of the fountain. I commend you to actually make a visit or a close 2cd best look up Ken's fine photographs here and post # 6 above.

Asher

Last edited:

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Kids and Water

I gave up shooting kids in water last summer when I was hired to do a company picnic. They wanted pix of the kids going down the water slide. One kid saw me at the edge of the pool waiting to get the perfect shot and cannonballed into the water aiming for me and my 5d with the 24-105 and flash on board. That was a scary moment but we survived. My hairdo did not. Brats.

Asher Kelman

.... One kid saw me at the edge of the pool waiting to get the perfect shot and cannonballed into the water aiming for me and my 5d with the 24-105 and flash on board. That was a scary moment but we survived. My hairdo did not. Brats.

Well, Kathy, did you atl east get the picture?

_MG_1042 BoyinRedRunninginFountain.jpg

Asher Kelman Boy in Red Running in Chicago Fountain

Here's another snap of a kid in red running. There seems to be a very special common urge to run through the water and make an impressive trail of white foam ripples in doing so. The runners seem so self-absorbed, some sort of zombie-state they enter doing this driven task!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Charlotte,

How many ways are there to enjoy life, the touch of water? Is it the distant memory of us as fish, fetus or just fascination or simply that water refreshes and moves us in so many ways?

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Asher-

just what I was thinking when I saw the beauty-exactly
and also the song I am sure you remember-

"Tenderly" is a popular song published in 1946 with music by Walter Lloyd Gross (1909-1967) and lyrics by Jack Lawrence. It became a jazz standard.

above all
this is so-

"Life"

Charlotte-

Asher Kelman

Tenderly! Nostalgia isn't what it used to be! :)

It started something like this, then by Nat King cole here and Amy Weinhouse here too!

But there's no water, except that in kissed and mist ..and inside you took my lips you took my heart tenderly.

Still, it brings back memories. No tears!

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be! :)

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Asher

you are a consumate musician and poet
how wondefrul
the 2 types
exactly what was needed I must say I like the older Clooney better" must be my age"

how very soft and beautiful our leader truly is-
thank you
for your time*
I do understand that-

Charlotte-

Asher Kelman

Bump!

Yes it's cold now, but the water is so invigorating.

Any more fun pictures with water welcome!

Asher

Antonio Correia

The fish... the fish...
i-rzWtjBd-XL.jpg

The shower
i-hnBTbKp-XL.jpg

i-qQPdRmB-XL.jpg

I have many more but they are too private.
The series in the shower was particularly successful with lots of fog around

Asher Kelman

Adorable, Antonio & Luisa! This is what life is about: the payoff in seeing one's life's devotion payoff and be happy on their own!

Clever artful images!

Asher