• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Who is using 8 & 16 GB CF cards?

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
I'm using an 8 Gb Extreme IV Sandisk with a 1DS2 for several month, got absolutely no prob. It works like a charm, and fast!

Mark Schafer

pro member
I'm using Sandisk Extreme III 8GB (Canon 1DS MII) and so far great. I just shoot one one card, and between changes we upload to my laptop (with the new Extreme IV FW800 reader, which is 40% quicker than the older FW400 reader) and backup to external HD's. Like this i have one card with the original capture on my body at all times after the shoot and 3 copies on the HD's. Usually i never shoot more than the capacity of one card per assignment day. The cards get reformated once before each shoot along with the counter manually reset and never deleted until back at the ranch.

Mark Schafer

pro member
Sounds about right, when i reformat the card it comes to about 440 raw's (i don't do the +jpg thing) and depending on the subject it comes to more or less than that (the simpler the more files fit on the card).
And as the back up SD card thing (on the 1DS M2) work only if i you back up everything and as they only come in 2gb (i don't know if it supports higher capacity) i skip that possibility.
My environment is usually very controlled, either studio or a very controlled outdoor or indoor set so the cameras and everything computer related is treated like raw eggs, sheltered, away from liquids etc. that helps a lot.
And when we have to change locations quickly we stop for a couple of minutes and download and secure everything.
I always worked like this and when I’m shooting film one assistant is taking care of the film first and has all the shot film in a hip bag on him/her at all times, now it's the same with the digital stuff, HD's in small Pelican boxes etc.

Nill Toulme

I'm using 4GB SD's in mine, and I believe there are some 8GB versions in the wild now. I was just thinking, as careful as you are with the multiple backups, it might make sense to begin at the beginning. A fried card with 400 frames on it would be a bit of a setback, would it not?

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Mark Schafer

pro member
I guess you're right, on the other hand i'm only using Sandisk cards, no exotic brands, and let the camera, the readers and the computers do their thing, wait till everyhting is unmounted and done reading/writing and without rushing through the motions.

I would love an 8GB SD card to keep things in sync and keep the write speed to clear the buffer as it is (if not better, sometimes i need to wait during shoots).
But after each take we backup the new files and my assistant is veryfiying the incoming files for their integrity.

So this is working for me very well and i love the possibility of having the entire shoot on one original card that can be easily carried to my retoucher, a client, the studio, aboard a plane etc.

Will Thompson

Thanks All For the responses.

It seems no 16GB in mix as of yet.

I use 6 of the 80x Lexar 4GB and 2 of the SanDisk Ultra II 8GB.

Mark Schafer

pro member
Pelikan makes watertight cases in various sizes (the largest are too heavy to lift alone. But they also make those little "micro" cases. I use the 1030, 1040 in red and yellow with a clear top to put HD and other fragile stuff (Epson P-3000) in, as well as cleaning accessories, manuals, etc.. The clear cover is great to check that you acually have a drive inside and the cable that goes with it. Anyway, they are small, cheap (+-US$10) and well made, besides being shockproof and watertight, so they just slip into my North Face Jacket or my backpack when i leave the studio. So if some mean spitrited person snatches my bag i still have the shoot files on me (Besides of my originals on the CF cards in my pant pocket).
BTW, i just got some Sandisk Extreme IV 8GB for an upcoming assignment. I tested them against the Extreme III version with the new Sandisk FW 800 reader: 1min45sec versus 1min13sec for the new guys on the block (about 1.1GB, 103 RAW only captures with my 1DS M2, downloaded onto a MAC PB G4 1.67Ghz, 2GB Ram, my location computer), love it. I usually shoot about 400 captures so we save about 2min download time at the end

I just got a pair of Sandisk 8GB Extreme IV cards, Me like.

They appear to be just a touch faster then the Sandisk 2GB Ultra II s I have been using and I like that. Haven't had a proper work out yet (given I got them last night ), but they work so far with no problems.

Paul Bestwick

pro member
I have just added a pair of 8GB Extreme III Sandisk cards to the arsenal. As far as cards getting fried, I have never had an issue in 5 years of shooting digital. I think 8GB is about as big as I would go. That is until the 1DSMKII replacement comes out & then I will review my requirements.
I am thinking that it wont be too long before we have 100, 250GB cards.

Cheers,

Paul