• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Review: The New Canon G16

Doug Kerr

Nikon has moved onto our radar with the announcement of their Coolpix P7800, since it (unlike its predecessor, the P7700) includes an eyepiece viewfinder (of the EVF variety), a requirement here.

The machine has essentially the same size sensor as the Canon PowerShot G16: about 9.3 mm (diagonal).

That's 10/17 inch in "Vidicon bottle diameter" notation.​

Compared to the G16, it affords a narrower field of view at the "telephoto" end (ff35 equivalent focal length: 200 mm, vs. 140 mm for the G16).

Concerns have been expressed that its predecessor was "slow" in many respects; it is not yet known whether, for example, the P7800 has a faster processor than the P7700, which could be a factor in such matters.

We will be watching for further information as it becomes available.

The price is at par with the G16.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Doug,

I too noticed the Nikon announcement. DPreview implies that little else has changed, but we'll see.

What about Sony offerings? I feel that the NEX cameras are a bargain and right now they're on sale.

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

I too noticed the Nikon announcement. DPreview implies that little else has changed, but we'll see.

What about Sony offerings? I feel that the NEX cameras are a bargain and right now they're on sale.

Asher
Yes, I need to review their properties.

Thnaks.

Best regards,

Doug