• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

New 2008 available Digital Cameras to get Excited about! Here's my 6 and a bonus!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
We have moved beyond yawns to being really moved by the progression of technology that could really impact our photography. This is my partial list, but we need to add yours to point out succinctly other cameras that really push the envelope of what we can tackle with our system of cameras and lenses. I'll come back to classic MF digital platforms in a later thread in the appropriate forum.
  1. Canon 50D: ideal for getting a x1.6 devotion of pixels to distant objects. See Nikolai Sklobovsky's early experience report here! Thanks :)

2. Canon 5D: Ideal for lower light work very high resolution, (21MP) low noise work and full use of the "full frame image circle" of the wide angle lenses for architecture, group portraits and internal photography. Oh yes, high resolution imaging for getting extra coverage for digital movies and for location scouting.

3. Leica S2: Ideal for an integrated Leica quality lens platform for the latest Kodak MF technology only 5 mm smaller than competing MF Kodak-based digital back from Phase on and Leaf. Get used to one central autofocus focus point but welcome Phase one integration of sensor and central lens shutter for fast flash synch at all speeds with most lenses.

4. The micro 4/3 G1 Lumix camera from Panasonic part of the joint Olympus-Panasonic effort in reducing the bulk of the lens mount by removing the mirror for an LCD and shorting the lens to focal plane distance and so allowing a much smaller diameter of lens mount. Dad, they shrunk my camera!! "The Panasonic LUMIX DMC-G1, (expected Novemeber 2008), not only accepts the Micro FourThirds System exchangeable lenses, current FourThird System lenses can also be used through an additional adaptor. So you can continue to use the FourThirds System lenses that are already in your possession. Read more at let'sgodigital.

5. The Nikon D4: Ideal for Nikon low light, full frame use and access to all the functions of the superior Nikon wide angle optics as well as currently available Zeiss lenses with simple focus confirmation.

6. Nikon D700: Ideal for D4 capability at a bargain price but absent weather-seals.

and for 2009, since this is major:
  7. DSMC (Digital Still & Motion Camera), the DSLR Killer for 2009 by the makers of the Red family of cameras.

So add your findings and let us know if you have already shooting experience to share.

Asher

Ron Morse

I have the 5DMII pre-ordered. I hesitated a few hours thinking about the 1DMIII instead, after using a friends 1DMIII for a day and falling in love with it. I decided to go for the 5DMII since I won't be shooting horse shows almost every weekend anymore.

I would have been # 16 on the list. After my hesitation I was #22.

ChrisDauer

The 50D sounds great, but I recently upgraded my 20D to a 40D, and the 40D is good enough that it won't justify an upgrade at this time.

That stated, the 5D2 is enough of an upgrade to replace my 5D.

If I had Nikon the D700 would be the camera for me; but I've heard from more than a few people that the 5D2 was making some Nikon->Canon converts.

To round out the rest of my camera wishlist (for camera under $50k, because surely who wouldn't want a Phase P65+ back!); I'd have to say it's the Pentax W60. I need a good, tough, rain proof, dust proof, can take it anywhere camera that lives up to my lifestyle and I hope this is the one. I just ordered it and it arrives on Friday.

As for the DSMC, I'll reserve any judgment until after it's been out and others have had a chance to put it through it's paces. I am intrigued but unwilling to invest in the system with what I know today (which admittedly isn't much!).

Cem_Usakligil

So, what cameras do you have your eyes on? anyone?
For me, without doubt, the 5D Mk II. I have sold my 5D earlier this year and bought a 40D as a stop gap till the new camera would come out and become affordable. So maybe Santa will bring me a nice present this year ;-)

Cheers,

erik leeman

Apart from the very obvious top ranking-with-a-star position of the 5D mkII on my wish list, the micro 4/3 system looks VERY interesting to me! A super compact high quality camera body with a ditto fisheye lens would open up wonderful possibilities for my VR photography. Tight places or situations where I don't want to draw too much attention to myself are problematic with the bulky and intimidating gear I have to use now, so this alternative would be very welcome!

Regards,

Erik Leeman

I want a MICRO 4/3 camera, but not particularly the only one available now. More in the direction of range finder than Faux DSLR.

I have a P25/Mamiya and D300, so that would be perfect for between the two systems.

Something to carry everywhere and that it could produce:

*RAW file
*12MP
* video
*live preview

And would be almost pocket size.... with a fast normal pancake lens.

I am waiting -long term- for MICRO Medium Format system. One that would be exactly like this but MF. What would be the point you ask?

Smaller system/ smaller lenses/ better cheaper lenses/ PC Tilt/Shift capable ... etc

...wake me up until then...

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

PS: What about the Sony FF 24MP body Asher? That is the camera I would get if I didn't have the back !
Hi Leonardo,

Anyone with Konica=Minolta lenses should consider this option. With 21 MP, in good light, any of these cameras will be marvelous. However, for price and performance and range of lenses available new and used, Canon and Nikon will be hard to beat. Consider the new 21MP Canon 5DII at merely $2,700! To me it would come down to other features like how good is the focus? Is it up to 1DsIII standards? What about the noise at high ISO?

Canon has decided to cropple the new 5DII by clobbering it with the older 5D's non-leading design focussing technology. By contrast, Nikon has endowed the 700D with the same highly effective focus as the flagship, raqther let's call it the "Starship" D3 DSLR. It remains to be seen if the 5D II is as good as the 700D or if the extra pixels Digic IV really add anything meaningful.

Asher

I wonder if there will ever be a slow down on the curve of better and better cameras. In a totally different field of gadgetery, I just got a new PS2 (PlayStation) for my son -and me- and I decided to not go for the Wii, or the PS3. The reasons are similar to what we could think for bodies: I now how to play with it, the new generation doesn't offer a lot more performance for the price (you have to buy new titles) etc. There was a huge difference from PS1 to PS2, but now... it is a really good machine for what it does.

Same with the Mamiya P25, I could probably use a few more focus points, but for what I use it it is a good image making machine, the files are super elastic, virtually noiseless and when combined with PhaseOne software, a very comfortable working environment.

On the other hand, my upgrade from Fujifilm S2 -- a state of the art camera when it came out -- to the D300 was a fantastic experience. The world changed from S2 to D300 so much that is difficult to think about the same incremental change from D300 to the newer generations.

We will probably be seeing the perfect bodies when Nikon goes after the 5DMk3 in the 20 to 24MP range. For experience we can assume that they --Nikon-- will take all the time the need to get there and hold their ground. After that it would be catch up game with all the others, including Hasselblad, Mamiya, Leaf, Sinar, Pentax and Sony plus Red... but you have to remember that the Red camera will be a 45k Ferrari ... sometime in the future ...

Asher Kelman

I wonder if there will ever be a slow down on the curve of better and better cameras. ................

On the other hand, my upgrade from Fujifilm S2 -- a state of the art camera when it came out -- to the D300 was a fantastic experience. The world changed from S2 to D300 so much that is difficult to think about the same incremental change from D300 to the newer generations.
Leonardo,

The most amazing jump with occur when Canon or Nikon take their full frame chip and put it in a rangefinder or LCD viewfinder camera, like the use of the large Sigma Foveon sensor popped into the DP-1 and DP-2. This will mean a major reduction in bulk and smaller lenses or else the ability to do shift and tilt. I think people will eventually give up on the bulky mirror system except for film and for niche Digital markets like MF selling a few thousand cameras each per year.

A simple slimmer camera is possible. It would be lighter and cheaper to make! The best thing is that it would be utterly silent! This is what I believe is going to evolve in the next two years. At the same time, the MF digital market will struggle against each other and the new Leica S2 will appear for the Leica affecionado's.

Asher

Asher, you read my mind, I think that SLReflex will probably continue to exist, but someone will come up with a parallel system exactly as you describe. For me the 4/3 MINI is probably good enough to get a body-fast-normal set up. Since my new profession is stock photography it had to be able to make images that can pass Alamy's QC, and probably it will, so. What good is a photo that you can't take since you left your DSLR at home?

Regarding MF, I don't know what will happen since the price gap is too large (A 24MP from Sony from under $3k) --and don't think that Leica is going to be the kid that changes the game-- What we are seeing now is a trickle down of used digital back on eBay. I would love to have a Roleiflex 6x6 with a 22mp back retrofitted for hand held snaps...

Leonardo,

The most amazing jump with occur when Canon or Nikon take their full frame chip and put it in a rangefinder or LCD viewfinder camera, like the use of the large Sigma Foveon sensor popped into the DP-1 and DP-2. This will mean a major reduction in bulk and smaller lenses or else the ability to do shift and tilt. I think people will eventually give up on the bulky mirror system except for film and for niche Digital markets like MF selling a few thousand cameras each per year.

A simple slimmer camera is possible. It would be lighter and cheaper to make! The best thing is that it would be utterly silent! This is what I believe is going to evolve in the next two years. At the same time, the MF digital market will struggle against each other and the new Leica S2 will appear for the Leica affecionado's.

Asher