• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Fisheye

Bob Rogers

I just got a fisheye lens. I've never used one before, so I'm out trying to get the hang of using it. The main thing I want it for is shooting buildings and processing the images to remove the distortion. It seems to work well for that. It's cheaper and has less distortion than the currently available super-wide zooms.

Here's something that's not architecture.

squarePeg2.jpg

Bob Rogers
Square Peg

This is a crop from about the middle 25%. It's just amazing how close I can get to things.

Nill Toulme

The 15mm rectangular fisheye is one of my favorite lenses... and I mostly shoot people. While it wreaks havoc with architectural lines, it's actually much more friendly to people on the edges of the frame than is a rectilinear UWA — unless and until, that is, you apply processing to "remove the distortion." If you look at what that does to a human figure at the edge of the frame, you'll see that you're really just trading one form of distortion (curved straight lines) for another (stretching of forms). So, for people shots, "uncorrected" is often "better."

Just take care to keep your feet out of the frame! ;-)

101023-DHHSFB-157_std.jpg

Nill