Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Photography Discussions > Studio, Portrait, Still Life, Lighting Equipment and Technique

Studio, Portrait, Still Life, Lighting Equipment and Technique Continuous and Strobe Lighting. (The Sun is considered continuous!) Great ideas are really ten a penny! Technique in setting up the subject is, of course, essential. However, the ability to bring out form, texture, tonality and color is where the skill in lighting provides all the keys to engraving one's ideas on the delivered picture.

Old January 12th, 2018, 01:58 AM

Default Portrait of Anders Petersen, famous Swedish photographer ...

... and I had spotted him once, but could not get my gear up in time ( transparent umbrella and a speedlite ), to ask if I could take a portrait of him. But a couple of months later I saw him shooting at the Pride festival, and then could ask him. He is most known for documentary black and whites from the 60s and 70s, so I made b&w portrait.

I usually visit the pride festival a couple of hours before the parade starts, as there are no public there then, so one can shoot the participants more freely.

//http://www.pellepiano.com

Last edited by Asher Kelman; January 12th, 2018 at 09:17 PM.
Old January 12th, 2018, 09:19 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Ellström View Post
... and I had spotted him once, but could not get my gear up in time ( transparent umbrella and a speedlite ), to ask if I could take a portrait of him. But a couple of months later I saw him shooting at the Pride festival, and then could ask him. He is most known for documentary black and whites from the 60s and 70s, so I made b&w portrait.

I usually visit the pride festival a couple of hours before the parade starts, as there are no public there then, so one can shoot the participants more freely.

Yes, he does look like. he's an academic photographer of renown!

Here in Los Angeles, gay pride festivals require you bring your camera! Everyone dresses up just for that! No need to ask permission folk pose if you turn towards them, and the smile gets bigger if you happen to have a camera.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old January 12th, 2018, 10:24 PM

This is so great. I really like such shots. Can you please share details of capturing such shots like what setting are required, ISO, etc.
Old January 13th, 2018, 12:10 AM

Thank you.
I use 1.8 or 2.8 for portraits as I am obsessed with DOF =), and I alos like to use a handheld transparent umbrella with a speedlite in it. I have an old 5d II and mostly use a 85mm.
This was a little special in post as when converting to black and white it did not look the way I wanted, so I used my strange "develop" method.

I start by adding three Multiply Layers so everything is almost completely dark, and then I start painting in the masks starting to reveal everything bit by bit, to a lightness level of my choice. Here is the Dodge and Burn layer and the three Multiply layers.

Its a bit time consuming, but I like to see the image grow from nothing.

Old January 14th, 2018, 01:30 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

But how did you get the grainy texture?

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old January 14th, 2018, 01:47 PM

I checked the original as my memory is weak =), and its rather clean ( maybe a little in the blurred parts, but not that visible even in 100% view ) So no added grain to this one. But at times I add noise in photoshop, blur it, and have it in a layer with Overlay blending mode.

100% view of the image.

Last edited by Per Ellström; January 14th, 2018 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Showing image
Old January 17th, 2018, 06:34 PM

Fabulous portrait. I love how intense you' ve made his eyes... makes him come alive! Wow