• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Art vs. Otus?

Sigma announced a 50mm f1.4 new lens for their Art series…

http://nikonrumors.com/2014/01/06/the-new-sigma-50mm-f1-4-dg-hsm-art-lens-is-here.aspx/

The lens is absolutely huge! It has 77mm filter diameter and (judging from the pictures with respect to the filter thread) is 4 inches long! Imagine the look on a camera with the hood on?

With such characteristics, they seem to aim the lens to people that would ignore anything (even bulk) to get it! I wonder if the Otus will be under threat from its throne… It looks that Sigma means real business with this one… I wonder what the price will be, it looks like nothing that one would expect from Sigma….

Price was announced today... Same as the ART 35mm f1.4 for a lens that the first devious claim that it directly challenges the Otus... It is also claimed to perform exceptionally at full aperture... Personally, if the above prove to be true, I only object the focal length chosen, IMO they should make it in the 55-60 region where it would supplement those that got the ART 35mm f1.4 better and would bridge the gap from portrait lenses better too.