• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Pentax K10D body now available at B&H

Kyle Nagel

Thanks to Ben I was up all night trying to create banding photos (only kidding Ben, but I really was up quite late), In any case I cannot produce banding with an image straight from the camera, I'm shooting RAW in the DNG format and all seems to be well, at least with my camera. I did spend some time reading some of the posts on DPR and noticed most of the complaints are about some photos posted by two different people, and it isn't the image posters that brought it up, it was others that downloaded the photos and enlarged them that noticed it, one image that people were claiming to see it in I could not see it on my system, however with the rest of the images mentioned I could, and I still suspect it isn't banding, I think it is caused post shooting, all of these are images that have been processed and prepared for web presentation, and those claiming that they have banding aren't even the ones that shot and prepared the images, this is all very suspect. Another poster on DPR put up a link to his site where he had put up a variety of K10D images, none of which exhibited any form of this banding. So unless this turns out to be an issue with random bodies I wouldn't put much stock in the banding issue.

Kyle

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Here is the red channel from an iso 400 shot sent to me by a friend, the shot was in .DNG and about 1/2 a stop under. I processed it myself in ACR using my personal default settings (not auto!) for my 5D and 20D as a benchmark.

redbanding.jpg

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
If it is a QC thing and only some bodies exhibit it then I'm happy to wait 6 months and then try again once all the issues (there are focusing issues as well) have been sorted out. I'll be honest in that I'm not going to pay the 'fresh and shiny new just released' price just to have to send the camera off to the body shop for a month! I still want this camera to work though, the project I had intended it for has not disappeared!

Kyle Nagel

This looks similar to some pics I saw posted yesterday on another forum by a K10D owner, another forum member also said he was unable to produce it on his, so I'm beginning to think it is a QC issue. Could it be a bad component in the circuitry? or maybe bad sensors? I'm just glad mine doesn't do it! :>)

It is somewhat like playing Russian roulette though, you never know if you'll get one of the bad ones.

Kyle