Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > Still Photo: Approaching Fine Photography

Still Photo: Approaching Fine Photography Photography as a visual artform open to any serious picture, where classical photography is the mode of our expression. Open to all! Not curated. For works intended for clients and galleries submit to GALLERY ONE.

Old January 15th, 2015, 12:21 PM

Default "Expuesto:People in doorways: - Glimpses at the junctions of public spaces!

As you know, I photograph a lot going on in the front of buildings, especially people in doorways. I am collecting here a series of pictures that will build a picture of the Nicaragua experience just walking past homes and stores. I hope you will feel some of the "buzz "and tempo of life here in Nicaragua.

Your reactions ands comments are welcome and will be highly appreciated.

A lot of headings come to mind here, "Intrusions", "Inside Out", "Exposed", "Expuesto" (Spanish for exposed), "Guardián de la Casa", "Oblivious", "Transitions", "Personal Threshhold" and the like. We have settled for now on "Expuesto" which seems to best cover the idea of the junction between private and public.

Here are the first 4 photos of my new series, "Expuesto:People in doorways".

Rob
Old February 1st, 2015, 01:04 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Rob,

I'm interested in your work here showing societal "openness".

Western societies tend to be so tightly private. In many places, the doorways are closed or plantings shield windows. Here, however, your wonderful pictures show doorways and the porch gives extra breathing space.

Each picture discloses a little more. This high impact series will be valued in future times, for sure, if not much sooner. I see the making of a great photography book!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old February 2nd, 2015, 06:47 PM

Thank you Asher for suggesting a separate thread for this series. I find it fascinating how people stand or sit in their doorways in Latin American countries such as Nicaragua.

It is counter-culture to the lifestyle I am familiar with in Canada - even though I'm positive that it would probably have been a standard there 50 years ago - before people started secluding and isolating themselves from their neighbours and communities, and imprisoning themselves in their homes.

I look forward to providing many more images based on this theme - and welcome opinions and responses from any who may find them interesting. This thread may ultimately provide a direction on how to proceed in compiling the series into a book. Enjoy.
Old February 4th, 2015, 10:22 PM

From the streets of Matagalpa

Old February 8th, 2015, 04:29 AM

Old February 8th, 2015, 08:06 AM

These are all so great, Robert. I keep wanting to point one out but keep scrolling up and down, not able to make a choice as they are all just so good and so interesting. Such a cool series that you are working on now.
Maggie
Old February 8th, 2015, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Terlecki View Post
These are all so great, Robert. I keep wanting to point one out but keep scrolling up and down, not able to make a choice as they are all just so good and so interesting. Such a cool series that you are working on now.
Maggie
Thank you Maggie. I am so used to seeing people in their doorways now, that it is sometimes hard for me to realize that back home in Canada, I doubt that I would be able to find one (1) person standing in a doorway - not just homes but also businesses.
Old February 8th, 2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Watcher View Post
From the streets of Matagalpa

Fascinating use of European stereotypical faces in a native Latin community! Is this a common practice?

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old February 8th, 2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post

Fascinating use of European stereotypical faces in a native Latin community! Is this a common practice?

Asher
You are referring to the advertising piece on the desk I presume? I have never really paid attention - will have to keep an eye for that.

The personage we see most throughout the country, on large billboards and smaller posters alike, is that of the President Daniel Ortega looking stellar with two fingers raised in the air - sometimes with his wife beside him.
Old February 9th, 2015, 04:13 AM

Hi,

so simpel, so great ...! Thanks for the input and all the people who don't moan when being photographed ...
I especially appreciate the first from the "streets of Matagalpa"-set
Old February 9th, 2015, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang Plattner View Post
Hi,

so simpel, so great ...! Thanks for the input and all the people who don't moan when being photographed ...
I especially appreciate the first from the "streets of Matagalpa"-set
Thank you Wolfgang
Old February 11th, 2015, 01:26 PM

Old February 11th, 2015, 11:15 PM

Quote:

This is amazing. You have a community!

There is such a genuine sense of reporting the truth without disturbance!

Asher

Old February 14th, 2015, 03:12 PM

From the streets this afternoon:

Old February 19th, 2015, 05:59 AM

Both of these situations I passed by last night, were perfect setups for my doorway shots...

... problem is is that by the time I was able to pull out my camera, the scenes were not what I wanted.

So with the little girl, I was walking up the street on the same side as her. She was sitting there watching the world go by. I passed by and decided to head over to the other side of the street to get my viewpoint.

By the time I aimed my camera at her, she was standing and looking around. When I grabbed a shot of that, she recognized what I was doing and smiled. Then I motioned to her from that other side, to sit down on the step. So she did:

I couldn't see this guy at all until I was dead on to him just inches away. The opening in the door is only about 8 inches square. He did not notice me until I pulled out my camera (which I did immediately).

By then he was looking at me and when I asked if I could take a photo, he moved position and posed so I could see him directly. I took a couple of shots like that, but really wanted him on the other side (as when I was approaching him) not noticing me. I move back to that side of the door and asked him to move to where he previously was looking out, and have his eyes focused on something across the street.

It all took place in just seconds.

Old February 19th, 2015, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Both of these situations I passed by last night, were perfect setups for my doorway shots...

... problem is is that by the time I was able to pull out my camera, the scenes were not what I wanted.

So with the little girl, I was walking up the street on the same side as her. She was sitting there watching the world go by. I passed by and decided to head over to the other side of the street to get my viewpoint.

By the time I aimed my camera at her, she was standing and looking around. When I grabbed a shot of that, she recognized what I was doing and smiled. Then I motioned to her from that other side, to sit down on the step. So she did:

I couldn't see this guy at all until I was dead on to him just inches away. The opening in the door is only about 8 inches square. He did not notice me until I pulled out my camera (which I did immediately).

By then he was looking at me and when I asked if I could take a photo, he moved position and posed so I could see him directly. I took a couple of shots like that, but really wanted him on the other side (as when I was approaching him) not noticing me. I move back to that side of the door and asked him to move to where he previously was looking out, and have his eyes focused on something across the street.

It all took place in just seconds.

Hmm, Robert,

This is some sort of intervention, like Obama "Leading from behind" where one tries to control a situation without being accused of actually staging the result! What's interesting is that even these children are able to read human gestures and facial expressions so perfectly and furthermore they show a measure of trust in doing so.

I'm a bit concerned, here in the USA, of the acceptability of setting up a discourse like this without parental approval. That, at least to my mind, is the accepted standard. However, there's nothing inherently wrong or "bad" about the benign signaling, except if folk misinterpret one's interest. It's all about what is in the range of social normality.

I like your approach and the way you signal from a distance. Nonetheless. My way is to use a long lens and pass by and have no interaction, or else approach the parents and ask. Half the time they say, "Sure, go ahead!" or else, "send me the picture!"

Asher

Old February 19th, 2015, 08:18 AM

Robert,

In all your pictures on this topic, we see the migration and extension of the family space into the street, something that was evident and common, even I'm places like New York, 30-100 years ago before everyone had air conditioning.

Still, there's a a special and precious "warmth" here that is another layer which is absent from your other work. Perhaps this should be the first one of a new subset of these "Doorway Pictures". This, instance, where there is a smile of recognition and display of knowledge of your presence and intent to take a photograph merits recognition and celebration. After all, when we look at the picture, we are also greeted by same expression of trust that is part of childhood innocence.

I hope you will discover, amongst your existing work, more examples of this openness and warmth to the passer by with a camera.

Asher

Old February 23rd, 2015, 05:44 AM

Old February 23rd, 2015, 08:09 PM

Old February 26th, 2015, 07:20 AM

Old May 8th, 2015, 01:47 AM

A nice idea and a nice series of photographs, Robert.
I would just like to see a little more discipline in this theme because some of these subjects are shot before a door or inside a room and beyond the door.
To expand on this idea I would like to see more of an embracing by the people of that portal...so pump out the jambs, Rob...
http://paulyrichard.wordpress.com/ "In fact I don't believe there is such a thing as a definitive picture of something. The land is a living, breathing thing and light changes its character every second of every day." - Fay Godwin "All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice." - Elliott Erwitt
Old May 8th, 2015, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Abbott View Post
A nice idea and a nice series of photographs, Robert.
I would just like to see a little more discipline in this theme because some of these subjects are shot before a door or inside a room and beyond the door.
To expand on this idea I would like to see more of an embracing by the people of that portal...so pump out the jambs, Rob...
Yeah - if I were interested in exhibiting, I may take more consideration to such matters Paul - - - although I may not as well . However my posting on forums such as OPF are just play and fun for me - - - a public venue where I can post a few of the hundreds of images I am capturing each day, in the hurried and endlessly varied way that I shoot. Thank you for considering.
Old May 12th, 2015, 10:07 AM

I shot the streets pretty heavy during my final day in Leon before heading back to Canada. Here are 7 Doorway shots that I managed on that evening.

Old May 12th, 2015, 10:08 AM

Old May 12th, 2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:

One thing for sure, Robert, is that you don't lack texture and patina in "N"!

I wonder whether you really wanted the faces to be hidden in the first two? The combination of opening a lock and a security id great.

The series is coming along very well.

If you need the faces, perhaps do some again. If not "forgedaboutit"!

The last picture with the "check mark" on the left and her "look" on the left is so well seen and captured. Bravo!

Asher

Old May 13th, 2015, 06:11 PM

Quote:

A beautiful series. This one in particular really got to me.

I like the dead on framing especially. The people are always so nicely framed by the environment and I can't help but look and compare and contrast the two.

Sam
Old May 13th, 2015, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Hames View Post
A beautiful series. This one in particular really got to me.

I like the dead on framing especially. The people are always so nicely framed by the environment and I can't help but look and compare and contrast the two.

Sam
Thank you Sam.