• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Fuji, Pentax, Olympus Sonny DSLR users: OPF RAW FILE DATA-BANK™ call for submission

Yes, I think I'd be willing to donate and maybe even take some shots under specific circumstances just for the bank.

However, I don't know what kind of shots you are looking for. I guess I'm not sure where to start!

Are there any submitted that you can display as examples yet?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Submitting Images, what we want is what you do best!

Hi Ed,

Thanks so much for your offer.

This IMAGE LIBRARY resource, we named our RAWFOTOBANK™. It's meant to be very different from the information in sites that review cameras. That is not our job.

We just want to present images representing what real photographers do in their profession.

We want pictures that would be something you would do for your own work or pride. That way the camera is fairly representing what some particular photographer gets with the combination of lens, camera (back) and subject. We will have many pictures each with a different approach, but the discerning photographer should find a kinship in certain types of work and will be able to learn more about that lens-sensor combination than laboratory test charts.

Just pick pictures from amongst a shoot that is correctly exposed and has some interest. It does not need to be any prizewinner. However, your © will be in the image IPTC as well as contact info if you wish to get people to purchase that or other images. So the image though not stellar, needs to be presentable.

Any subject relevant to your interest. The idea is that architects would use the camera the way architects want to, but each to their own taste, whereas a product or news photographers would have likely entirely different considerations.

This way, we do not set unrealistic conditions. Rather the photographer must use his/her own judgment as to what is professional and what they like.

Note that if you use a specialty camera, the f stop might need to be entered by hand (an Eos camera with a Leica or Pentax lens, for example, or a View Camera with a Digital Back. Always specify the lens name and aperture with the shutter speed, as otherwise the EXIF might be empty and the critical information will be missing.

After we get the first hundred or so images, our database will be reviewed to see if we should refine it.

Which I'm sure we will.

If you can test several lenses at several apertures relevant to your type of work, then that is even better. These can be marked as a series.

Then use key words in the usual way so it can be searched for.

I am currently setting up the front end of the image-searching interface. Then we have to store the images. We already have a test site up but it will not go online until we see that the interface works and we have tracking.

Any suggestions or ideas will be received with appreciation.

There will be no charges to anyone.

Send what you think might be OK. If it is not fitting, we'll let you know, but I believe most submissions will be of professional quality and will be used.

We will rank the pictures as they are chosen so the database will become weighted towards images that photographers find most useful. However, all images will be available.

So thanks Ed and everyone else for helping to kick start this resource.

Yes, I think I'd be willing to donate and maybe even take some shots under specific circumstances just for the bank.

However, I don't know what kind of shots you are looking for. I guess I'm not sure where to start!

Are there any submitted that you can display as examples yet?

The M8 pictures from New York Central Park would be excellent examples, but the pictures do not have to be anywhere near that beautiful.

I do think it will be helpful to post sample images, and we'll do that, but don't wait to get started.

As soon as we have the site up we'll post the information.

However, right now, all the files will be isolated, virus checked and catalogued and the database is being tested.

Asher

raw file database

I'll contribute, as long as you are willing to host a few. I have limited storage space on my academic website, and can't leave 10MB files up for too long. I can offer M8 and Olympus E-1 files that I am proud of.

scott

Asher Kelman

Of course Scott we'll host all these files!

That, unfortunately is the headache for which I have purchased a large bottle of Advil!

We're expecting thousands of files. Just send them to me at editor.opf(AT)mac.com

I'll be so happy for every lens-camera (back) - subject combinations.

Asher

Of course Scott we'll host all these files!

That, unfortunately is the headache for which I have purchased a large bottle of Advil!

I somehow get a feeling that additional server storage space, while more expensive, is a better prevention ...
wink.gif

We're expecting thousands of files. Just send them to me at editor.opf(AT)mac.com

I'll be so happy for every lens-camera (back) - subject combinations.

Asher, would it help somewhat if after some time has passed you feed back specific styles/subjects that are under-represented in the collection?

Also, although I appreciate the initiative, it may be difficult to separate the photographer's skills in capture technique (includes lens selection and lighting options, in addition to composition), from the camera choice.

I also have samples of shots that were not really intended to be used for anything serious, but they proved to be real challenges for Raw Converters. I'd hate to supply such a Raw image as a sample of my skills (in fact I wouldn't supply it). Yet it would make a nice illustration of the technical limitations of a particular lens/camera/photographer/Raw Converter combination. Perhaps you could assign such files to a "Challenging Raw conversion" category, with some clues as to what to look for.

Bart

Also, although I appreciate the initiative, it may be difficult to separate the photographer's skills in capture technique (includes lens selection and lighting options, in addition to composition), from the camera choice.

I also have samples of shots that were not really intended to be used for anything serious, but they proved to be real challenges for Raw Converters. I'd hate to supply such a Raw image as a sample of my skills...

I think any of mine would be in that category. A short statement of what aspect of the image was supposed to be the point of emphasis might cover this.

scott

Asher Kelman

A great point. Why don't we also have a statement to that effect. Also we can have links to your good galleries so people can see the work you are proud of!

If the RAW file was obtained and it's difficult to work with, so be it. As long as it was exposed and focused, let us have it and we will selct from these. We just need a large spectrum of setups. We are not testing photographers, just having such a large database that will allow people to probe the files.

Feel free to email me statements that I might use to provide the correct milieu for the images.

Asher