• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Pentax Firmware 2.01 Upgrade

Alvaro Lopez

Just wanted Pentax *ist DS, DS2, DL, DL2 & K100D users to know that Firmware V2.01 is out here:

http://www.pentax.co.jp/english/support/

It looks like V2.01 allows the use of SDHC Memory Cards in our older model cameras. That means you can now use the 4GB & 8GB SD cards on the market in our older bodies

Don't you just love how Pentax continues to support its current client base. Backward compatible lenses, forward compatible firmware upgrade.

Thanks Pentax =)

Kyle Nagel

Thanks for the update

Thanks for keeping us updated, and yes Pentax has been very good at older support and forewords compatibility, I just wish they were a little faster at releasing competitive bodies, the new 10mp body should be announced on the 13th or 15th of September, it will still have the ability to use all of the older Pentax lenses like their current DSLRs but will also have USM lens capabilities for a new lens series that Pentax will be releasing.

Kyle

Alvaro Lopez

You gonna upgrade Kyle?

I'm pretty much decided to. However if the the K10D doesn't have the flash commander the D has, I might not. I've been missing that feature quite a bit on my DS. I don't like having 3 flashes in order to use 2.

I'd like to see some new long glass too. Hopefully nothing too expensive. I want to replace my Tokina 80-400 with something better, but there's a slim list of choices. I know, I know, its only a week away.

Patiently waiting...
Patiently waiting...
Patiently waiting...
Patiently waiting...
Patiently waiting...
Patiently waiting...
Patiently waiting...
Patiently waiting...

Alvaro Lopez

Pat Cooney said:
A small correction -- I believe the upgrade is v. 1.02 not v. 2.01.

--PJC

Actually Pat you're half right. My bad. I have a DS and the firmware is version 2.01. However I see that the other bodies have different firmware numbers since they were created later. The DL has 1.02 like you pointed out. I guess in my haste I just mentioned the oldest version since in theory, its the original version of the software effected.

2006.09.07 PENTAX K110D Firmware Update VERSION (1.01)
2006.09.07 PENTAX istDS Firmware Update VERSION (2.01)
2006.09.07 PENTAX istDS2 Firmware Update VERSION (1.01)
2006.09.07 PENTAX istDL Firmware Update VERSION (1.02)
2006.09.07 PENTAX istDL2 Firmware Update VERSION (1.01)

Kyle Nagel

Alvaro Lopez said:
You gonna upgrade Kyle?

I'm pretty much decided to. However if the the K10D doesn't have the flash commander the D has, I might not. I've been missing that feature quite a bit on my DS. I don't like having 3 flashes in order to use 2.

I'd like to see some new long glass too. Hopefully nothing too expensive. I want to replace my Tokina 80-400 with something better, but there's a slim list of choices. I know, I know, its only a week away.

Yes, I plan on upgrading, My only concern is that it sounds like it will use a SD card exclusively, and my *istD which I would keep as a second body, uses CF, I think that they should have at the very least had both types of memory slots, without the CF slot large inexpensive storage options (like Micro-drives) have been eliminated. It also means I will have to use 2 different types of memory on my bodies, which seems a little stupid since they are both made by the same camera manufacturer.

Kyle

Alvaro Lopez

Kyle,

I agree with you in theory. But given the number of DS's & DL's sold in relation to the D's sold I think its a better move businesswise to choose SD. I mean there are just so many more potential customers to upgrade that way. But then I'm biased since I already have a DS. I'll probably be a one body guy and sell it when the K10D arrives so it won't really matter much to me anyways.

Suppose you could sell the D & just get 2 K10Ds. As long as you get in line behind me =)