Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > Still Photo: Approaching Fine Photography

Still Photo: Approaching Fine Photography Photography as a visual artform open to any serious picture, where classical photography is the mode of our expression. Open to all! Not curated. For works intended for clients and galleries submit to GALLERY ONE.

Old May 11th, 2014, 09:34 AM

Default A book spread, perhaps

I would like to offer the following for your consideration. The below images together form one of the diptychs in my portfolio. This is a good starting point for discussion and for the series itself, as both images were made in 2011, around the time that I first began taking photography seriously. Recently, I have been considering representing these pairs as spreads with white space surrounding each element, as illustrated below. This is an obvious departure from my current style and is meant to be a complimentary means of representing my work, not a replacement.

At the moment, I can lay hands on ca. 70 images from which to construct such diptychs, depending on how self-critical I'm feeling. Within that set, there is a loose structure to the body of work and I am continuing to shoot and add images, however I'm struggling with how to mature the series into something worthy of exhibition and/or publication.

Old May 11th, 2014, 09:56 AM

More of the diptychs are to be seen here.
Old May 11th, 2014, 10:05 AM

Thank you, Jerome.
Old May 15th, 2014, 03:57 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Holroyd View Post
I would like to offer the following for your consideration. The below images together form one of the diptychs in my portfolio. This is a good starting point for discussion and for the series itself, as both images were made in 2011, around the time that I first began taking photography seriously. Recently, I have been considering representing these pairs as spreads with white space surrounding each element, as illustrated below. This is an obvious departure from my current style and is meant to be a complimentary means of representing my work, not a replacement.

At the moment, I can lay hands on ca. 70 images from which to construct such diptychs, depending on how self-critical I'm feeling. Within that set, there is a loose structure to the body of work and I am continuing to shoot and add images, however I'm struggling with how to mature the series into something worthy of exhibition and/or publication.

George,

This is a stimulating approach to making the subjects of your images do much more by being positioned within the field of reference and comparison of its partner. If this is true, then, besides the white space around the pair, (and I think that should be more than generous), the space between them, in my reckoning, should be enough to separate them, but not so much to disconnect them from each other's influence.

In fact, design of the spacing seems to me to be critical to pulling this off with both flair and distinction. I don't think images need to be larger than 8" x 10" each. I'd force folk to come in close to get into this dual world you make.

In the example you have given, light comes in to a dark, empty cavernous space. We can imagine all sorts of conditions there and a glance to the right has light reflecting off glass and people in a confined space, perhaps a restaurant, again with light pouring in in the entire deep bg.

I do like this set up and feel that you will get a lot of satisfaction in repurposing your disparate pictures into pairs that, like it or not, must now work together.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old May 16th, 2014, 12:06 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

George,

Looking at the other image pairs on your blog, here, I am taken in by the sometimes almost perfect continuity of one image into its partner especially where deep black is used in common with the adjacent edges. So those pictures appear more like a unified essential form with "one conjoint life. Here, however, placing the images on a white b.g. dissects them apart and gives an entirely new esthetic of "separate but related lives" of the image pair.

I wonder whether you might have both formats in the same exhibition and how the differences might actually be exploited?

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old May 16th, 2014, 03:30 AM

Thanks, Asher. I've considered printing some of the pairs as spreads in addition to having many of the diptychs done at 30x40 cm. I'll blue tack them to the wall and see how they fair, should help with sequencing as well. I've found a printers in Budapest and will have those made once we get settled into our new flat. I'm also going to have to find a good frame shop while I'm at it.
Old May 16th, 2014, 05:00 AM

I've also been experimenting with taking things a step further by expanding some of the diptychs into additional page spreads. These are compositions that might not lend themselves to the seamless style but fit well into the series. For example, I think the below are complimentary to the original pairing, above.

Ideally, I would like each component image in my portfolio to be strong enough to stand on its own. However, I think some would have to be considered "b" sides. I'm still reconciling myself to the idea that my photos are more or less a collection of fragments.

Old May 21st, 2014, 12:41 PM

George, I find these images as if they want to say something to me. Something strong. But I do not know what.

If it were a book, what would you title it?.

Take care.
Old May 22nd, 2014, 05:44 AM

I have thought about using the below as a title and cover image. The image is a photo from a shop door that was located on the same street as our flat in Paris. As far as I've been able to determine, there is no business using that name.