Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > Still Photo: Approaching Fine Photography

Still Photo: Approaching Fine Photography Photography as a visual artform open to any serious picture, where classical photography is the mode of our expression. Open to all! Not curated. For works intended for clients and galleries submit to GALLERY ONE.

Old May 14th, 2014, 12:12 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Default Stealing Beauty IV : Under the palm!

We're lucky in California to have beautiful weather almost all the year. Right now it's so hot, running at 90 F. So it's better to find places under the shade of trees. We found one garden in bloom and Kate bravely made her way past thorns of rose bushes that grabbed at her "must wear" dress to make this picture.

Again, no makeup artist and no hair stylist! Just Kate visiting a stranger's garden and the camera stealing all that beauty!

Asher Kelman: Stealing Beauty #4 "Under the Palms"

Canon 6D 70-200 2.8 L Processed in Adobe Photoshop CC and Topaz Clarity

I hope you enjoy these quick moments. No plants were damaged in the process!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old May 14th, 2014, 01:43 AM
Administrator/Moderator

Ah! now you're playing: joy, sensivity, beauty and romance!

I like it !
In you're shots would you have an almost similar but with the model looking at us?
Old May 14th, 2014, 01:59 AM

Thanks Nicolas,

It means such a lot to have such a nice reception coming first from the co-founder of this forum! Much appreciated! It's Kate who is growing into the role of being a romantic thief. She has less fear of being caught, except by the sharp thorns. I'll try to find a shot looking forward!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old May 14th, 2014, 04:13 AM

Excellent! She really feels at home in front of your camera. Stealing beauty seems more and more appropriate a title for this series, Asher.
Old May 14th, 2014, 06:15 AM

Hi, Asher,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
We're lucky in California to have beautiful weather almost all the year. Right now it's so hot, running at 90 F. So it's better to find places under the shade of trees. We found one garden in bloom and Kate bravely made her way past thorns of rose bushes that grabbed at her "must wear" dress to make this picture.

Again, no makeup artist and no hair stylist! Just Kate visiting a stranger's garden and the camera stealing all that beauty!

Asher Kelman: Stealing Beauty #4 "Under the Palms"

Canon 6D 70-200 2.8 L Processed in Adobe Photoshop CC and Topaz Clarity

Precious.

Kate really seems to "have it" more and more as this project progresses.

You are both fortunate to have this marvelous collaboration.

Best regards,

Doug
Old May 14th, 2014, 07:42 AM

I love this Asher. She really projects joy. Great collaboration.
:-)
Maggie
Old May 15th, 2014, 08:24 AM

Hi Asher,

there's everything in that picture, what we (of course romantically) think of "California": sun, flowers, shadows, joy, lovely people ...
Old May 15th, 2014, 09:18 AM

Very well done Asher! Kate really is a pleasure to see!
Old May 15th, 2014, 10:01 AM

Jarmo, Doug, Maggie, Wolfgang and Klaus, how wonderful to have you guys visit with us just across the road from my home! It's like everyone came for a great celebration. Kate is overwhelmed with the kind and generous response to her work.

It's a journey of discovery. Certainly, it's most economical in terms of buying flowers and creating a set!

Thanks for your encouraging comments!

Asher

Old May 15th, 2014, 10:54 AM

I like the image Asher but I wonder what the image would look like with less competition from the tree on the extreme right?
Old May 15th, 2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lemon View Post
I like the image Asher but I wonder what the image would look like with less competition from the tree on the extreme right?
Jim,

Glad you noticed and commented. I thought about that! Yes, it was something of a conundrum! Life is not perfect, even in "LA la land"!

One can debate over and over in one's mind. The Belgian painter Magritte often used a part of a door frame on the edge of his picture as a kind of geometric reference to what was in the center. So the presence of another vertical element might be seen as a reinforcement to the structure of the image. On the other hand, there being no other elements to attract our wandering eyes simplifies our appreciation. Taken to the extreme, we set up our model by a backdrop or paper so that there can be no doubt as to what to look at.

The difference might be that making a picture have multiple competing points to catch the eyes attention, allows us to go "beyond the exactness of the subject of the image" and to use more of our own experiences to get into this entire world. We then can start to wander, muse and romanticize in a personal way.

I finally decided to keep the tree and had to spend time removing a complicated set of winding wires and Christmas lights that really were offending distractions! Freud might have something to say about the way my neighbors celebrate the shape of the elegant tree trunks, so lavishly the whole year!

Otherwise, there are no other cheats, changes or sculpting in my pictures!

Asher