• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A few simple pictures of Setúbal, Portugal

Antonio Correia

I have made my mind and decided to register how Setúbal look like.
Nothing is planned. I just walk and take pictures (carefully).
Here are some from today.
i-MJdRvfb-XL.jpg

i-RJ6dVHr-XL.jpg

Antonio,

Is this just a casual picture or you wish to something show in this? As the way it has been captured depicts seems like you just snapped it casually.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Antonio,

Is this just a casual picture or you wish to something show in this? As the way it has been captured depicts seems like you just snapped it casually.

Even at his most casual, Antonio is a master at work. 'Snapping' for Antonio is my most intense efforts.

My mouth waters for the taste of Portugal. My eyes ache for its splendor.
Antonio, you tempt me. Next year for sure.

Antonio Correia

@ Yes Asher. It is the same church.
I hope to go inside and have some pictures of it in the next few days...

@ Patel
I decided to take some pictures of the town as register of it's status these days.
More will come. Thank you for commenting ! :)

@ Tom... let me know if and when you are coming. In private, please.

Today at the market a quick one.
i-QXzBFD9-XL.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
@ Yes Asher. It is the same church.
I hope to go inside and have some pictures of it in the next few days...

Today at the market a quick one.
i-QXzBFD9-XL.jpg

It is like we were there yesterday. This display shows only a small fraction of the abundantly rich gifts of the sea to the people of Setubal! Just for this, Setubal is worth visiting.

.......and the draw is not merely the diversity of the seafood offerings, but also at each stall are people who are linked to their section of this enormous market by family and loyal customers whose relationships likely go back centuries!

Then, on the wall are beautiful images, made up of porcelain tiles.

I remember now, there is so much that the place holds for the senses: food, commerce, friendship and pride!

Asher

Robert Watcher

Nicely exposed and captured images Antonio.

These are type of scenes that really benefit from a superwide angle lens (in my way of seeing things). I don't know if you own one or have used such a lens.

I really miss my 10-20mm Sigma (15-30 mm equiv) that I used on my Nikon D200 for almost all my professional interior shots and any scenics like this.The viewpoint and perspecive at the wide end, just turns the images into something visually stimulating. A 28mm doesn't do that and even a 24mm doesn't accomplish this. In my film days, my favourite wide angle lens was my 21mm Zuiko (Olympus) which was about the widest you could get. I grew to dislike anything I shot with my 28mm and it ended being seldom used. My preferred lenses then were the extremes - my 21mm and my 300mm.

I would love to own a micro 4/3 lens in the 7-14mm range for the same effect I got with my Nikon and Sigma - but it is too expensive and too big for my tastes, the way that I shoot now. Maybe someday.

Antonio Correia

Thank you for your comment Robert.
In fact, all these images were/are shot with the Olympus 7-14 which I like a lot.
Many images I made in India in my last trip to that country, were with this lens.
However, one must be careful because the deformations can be important if objects are too near.
There are two things wrong with it: the price and the weight !
Cheers ! :)

Market inside

i-Zp38844-XL.jpg

i-RTSFpFZ-XL.jpg

Robert Watcher

Excellent to know Antonio. There is definitely a skill required in using ultrawide lenses. I enjoy the extra 2 photos.

-------

Antonio Correia

The only thing I do not like - at all - when shooting with m4/3 under low light, is the noise it produces.

The camera to blame I suppose !

i-gqHvSKQ-XL.jpg

i-Lb4VmPr-XL.jpg

Asher Kelman

Thank you for your comment Robert.
In fact, all these images were/are shot with the Olympus 7-14 which I like a lot.
Many images I made in India in my last trip to that country, were with this lens.
However, one must be careful because the deformations can be important if objects are too near.
There are two things wrong with it: the price and the weight !
Cheers ! :)

Market inside

i-Zp38844-XL.jpg

Amazing decorative floor tiles. No matter which direction one is going, one is encouraged to gradually move forward in that direction!

Asher

Last edited:

Antonio Correia

This was a far where oranges grew, some 40/50 years ago.
A part of this farm was divided, so the owner could build on it, on the 70ies. What is left of the farm was transformed as a public garden with area recreation.
At the time, I was involved in this operation as an Architect.

Asher Kelman

Antonio,

This bright cart is so distinguished. Where is it? Is it new?

i-32zSjMk-XL.jpg

Interesting name for food with beans! .....Oh, I am so wrong. Not beans, just fried dough! So these are essentially Portuguese "donuts" of course! Appears to mean "abundance".

Romance Philology, Volume 26

Brepols Publishers, 1973 - Romance philology

From inside the book:

"1 page matching origin of the Portugese word "fartura" in this book
Page 659"

Asher

Antonio Correia

A "fartura" is a fried piece of dough cake involved in chugger with cinnamon.
I did not photograph the frying procedure but I will do it today.

Lots of grass - bad for cholesterol and so on - but I don't care and eat one when I can (what happens very seldom) ! :) :)

I have printed the photo of the stand and I will be giving it to them, tonight. I will eat a "fartura" then ! :) :)

i-bgsvgdJ-XL.jpg

Asher Kelman

A "fartura" is a fried piece of dough cake involved in chugger with cinnamon.
I did not photograph the frying procedure but I will do it today.

Lots of grass - bad for cholesterol and so on - but I don't care and eat one when I can (what happens very seldom) ! :) :)

I have printed the photo of the stand and I will be giving it to them, tonight. I will eat a "fartura" then ! :) :)

i-bgsvgdJ-XL.jpg

Nice shot, Antonio! They should give you a discount, LOL!

In the USA, there would be police cruisers parked nearby as the police so ❤️ donuts They seem to get addicted to them. It's a fast delicious way of getting a mid morning, afternoon or midnight snack without loosing more than 30 minutes in the subsequent mini-siesta!

Asher

Asher Kelman

The only thing I do not like - at all - when shooting with m4/3 under low light, is the noise it produces.

The camera to blame I suppose !

i-gqHvSKQ-XL.jpg

i-Lb4VmPr-XL.jpg

Dining at night is so romantic! The restaurants by the water, itself are even more popular. American and European tourists don't know thebplace well enough. It makes a most wonderful holiday or wedding destination. Nowhere is the food better. Here, the chefs are likely family members of the fishermen! No one can get better fed, but here!

Asher

Asher Kelman

You keep me so happy, Antonio!

i-5XmTk3F-XL.jpg

I am keenly interested in art in such stretched tensioned canvas structures. Is that what this is?

What a beautiful shaded area for beachgoers! Did I actually miss this?

I love the free form and organic architectural possibilities and want to incorporate such curvaceous forms in a new sculpture!

Do you happen to have the rest of it?

Asher

Antonio Correia

Yes Asher, you missed this area. It is an area where people stroll, bath and take some Sun...

The large stone you referred to and which I photographed, is at the right. That day the sky was fabulous. It doesn't happen often...

Today, the photo a park. The weather has been quite pleasant for October and November. We are missing the rain...
2017-10-14%4011.30.47-XL.jpg

Asher Kelman

Antonio, could you check that the earlier links for your photographs I. This thread still work!

Asher