• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Making our mark

Doug Kerr

I recently ran into the website of the Oxford Welsh Male Voice Choir (Côr meibion Rhydychen).

On one page they have links to previews of the tracks from one of their record albums. Included is the lovely Welsh ballad Pan fo’r Nos yn Hir by Ryan Davies.

The link brings up a page with a brief story of the number and with an English translation of the beautiful Welsh lyrics (not the English Lyrics).

http://www.oxfordwelshmvc.org.uk/recordings/at home cd/panfornos.html

The story is in excerpted verbatim from my writing, and the translation, largely done by the composer's widow, Irene Ryan-Davies, includes for the last stanza (not included in the scope of Irene's work) the translation I did myself with some help from the composer's daughter, Bethan Davies.

In fact, I can tell from a typographical convention I adopted that the whole thing is in fact picked up from an article I posted here some while ago!

So we make our mark in many ways.

By the way, my MIDI transcription of the ballad (including my favorite piano accompaniment, by Benny Litchfield of the BBC) was contributed by Bethan to a Welsh song website.

Best regards,

Doug