• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A couple of random shots from UAE

Graham Mitchell

A local cement factory:

L_000341.jpg

Graham Mitchell: Cement Factory

Grand Mosque, Abu Dhabi:

L_000326-Panorama.jpg

Graham Mitchell: Grand Mosque 1

L_000310_800.jpg

Graham Mitchell: Grand Mosque 2

Last edited by a moderator:

Helene Anderson

That first photo grabs me. All three I like but that top one . . . . . . the place looks so lonely because of the night yet the lights make it a little(?) welcoming.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
[/CENTER]
Grand Mosque, Abu Dhabi:

L_000326-Panorama.jpg

Graham Mitchell: Grand Mosque 1

L_000310_800.jpg

Graham Mitchell: Grand Mosque 2

So, Graham,

Which is the correct color? The first is so pristine and seems to go well with the white garments that seem so common in Saudi and the Emirates.

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Graham,

Nice to see you around again. Very nice views, did you shoot them with the Leaf back? Is the 1st picture of the Grand Mosque a stitched picture (the name includes "panorama")? Handheld in the mosque or on a tripod? Sorry about the multitude of questions, just curious. :)

In the GM1, I like composition and the placement of the minaret. It is a pity that we cannot see the peak of it, but it is just nitpicking.

The GM2 contains a good symmetry and the curves and the straight lines work well together, including the circle in the carpet on the floor. However, yet another nitpick, it is not 100% vertical. A 0.25 degrees CCW rotation would take care of it. ;)

The cement plant is shot at twilight when there is still some definition in the sky, good timing. Was it really void of people or did you take a long exposure?

Thanks for sharing these.

Graham Mitchell

did you shoot them with the Leaf back?

Yes.

Is the 1st picture of the Grand Mosque a stitched picture (the name includes "panorama")? Handheld in the mosque or on a tripod? Sorry about the multitude of questions, just curious. :)

Yes, that one is stitched. They are all tripod mounted shots. Curiosity is welcome :)

In the GM1, I like composition and the placement of the minaret. It is a pity that we cannot see the peak of it, but it is just nitpicking.

Agreed. I was thinking of photoshopping the tower later. I can't fit it all in without losing the rest of the composition.

The GM2 contains a good symmetry and the curves and the straight lines work well together, including the circle in the carpet on the floor. However, yet another nitpick, it is not 100% vertical. A 0.25 degrees CCW rotation would take care of it. ;)

Thanks, I'll check that out.

The cement plant is shot at twilight when there is still some definition in the sky, good timing. Was it really void of people or did you take a long exposure?

It was a long exposure - maybe 10 seconds or so - but I had to wait for the frame to be clear.

Graham Mitchell

PS: Coming back to GM2, did you take bracketed shots to do some highlights recovery in the windows perhaps? If so, I would recommend to have a go at those using SNS-HD.

Yes, there were 2 shots combined in Photomatix, if I remember correctly. Thanks for the tip but I am a Mac user. Have you tried Oloneo? That is also PC-only but looks very good from the little I've tried it so far.

Yes, there were 2 shots combined in Photomatix, if I remember correctly. Thanks for the tip but I am a Mac user. Have you tried Oloneo? That is also PC-only but looks very good from the little I've tried it so far.

Hi Graham,

SNS-HDR apparently, from what I've read, runs fine under Parallels on a Mac. The last time I tried Oloneo it still had some issues with high contrast edges (e.g. windows looking out on a bright outside scene), whereas SNS-HDR doesn't have such issues. From what others have commented on various fora, the anti-ghosting of Oloneo didn't work as well either.

Anyway, thanks for sharing some of your UAE shots, much appreciated.

Cheers,
Bart

Last edited:

Graham Mitchell

Went for a trip into the desert today:

L_000446.jpg

Made a new friend:

L_000435.jpg

Ran into a bunch of guys having a picnic in the middle of nowhere:

L_000453.jpg

Here you can see what they were eating:

L_000458.jpg

fahim mohammed

Graham, these are interesting shots from the UAE.

The mosque is rather exquisite photographically at twilight/night.

Do you reside in the UAE?

Regards.

fahim mohammed

So, Graham,

Which is the correct color? The first is so pristine and seems to go well with the white garments that seem so common in Saudi and the Emirates.

Asher

During hot weather Asher. Winter brings on a change in our clothing.

Suiting cloth. ' Farwas '..warm overcoats..in the cold. Black/grey/ pin-stripe thobes!!

Regards.