• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A belated hello

Matthew Blais

I joined here last year, but have not tuned in much...

Recently met Asher at a large format shoot get-together and he encouraged me to post a bit...so here I am.

I work as a commercial designer, photographer, print broker and general marketing.
I indulge my more artistic side shooting film and printing in my darkroom. I typically use medium format, 4x5 and 8x10 large format. To help support that "habit" I do occasional darkroom and large format camera intro workshops.

I print silver, use lith developers, 8x10's are usually contact prints in cyanotype/VD brown and platinum/palladium.

That's enough for now...other than I know a few names here from APUG.org and the Large Format forum..

Regards,
Matt

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Matthew,

Let me extend a very warm welcome to you. Judging from what you've written about your background and a very superficial scan of your website and pictures, I am 100% sure that you can be a tremendous asset to us. If you want to, that is. So please join the discussions, create new topics or share your work with us. I am looking forward to it.

Cheers,

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Matthew and I were together at a recent Large Format Film camera shoot.

Thanks especially Matthew for coming to my aid when the film loading tent did not materialize! Lending me the HP5 pre-loaded 8x10 film holders allowed me to use my 8x10 camera and test out my new lens! Thanks so much. The UPS man will deliver them back to you shortly.

It's so good to have experienced photographers here. This is a unique corner of the web where serious photographers can share even though some are just beginning. Many others have wonderful portfolios and they themselves may even be newbies to digital photography! These guys, however, know the smell of every processing agent. Clocks tick off seconds. Their eye scans for zones of light and dark. That extra agitation of the negative in a tray changes the silver grains and they know where words came from. "Dodging", "burning", "masking" were all dark room terms long before Photoshop co-opted them. Imagine, most everything the firmware does in your digital camera, they do as second nature, like seasoned fishermen sensing the wind, watching where the birds go and using their intuition to drop the line and get the fish each time; well almost!

So it's a great asset to have with us the likes of you guys, David Goldfarb, Jim Galli and Matthew Blais and so many others who bring to OPF a long experience in putting into a print what was imagined before the shot was taken. I cannot express enough how happy we are to have you guys so that we can present a broad array of photographic art informed by the mind.

Asher

Matthew Blais

Holá to you too David..
Asher wouldn't stop calling me until I got on board here.. :)

Asher, your eloquence and insight keep astounding me.. Thanks.