• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Dance students

Ruben Alfu

Some samples from a photo shoot a did recently for a young girls dance school. They are wearing the customs they'd use later for their end of year show. All these photos were done with only one umbrella, I even used just the modeling lamp for the first pic (with an unplanned tungsten light spilling!). I hope you like it!

_MG_6901.jpg

Ruben Alfu : Dance student 1

_MG_6539_web.jpg

Ruben Alfu : Dance student 2

_MG_6361.jpg

Ruben Alfu : Dance student 3

_MG_6740_web.jpg

Ruben Alfu : Dance student 4

Regards,

Ruben

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Ruben,

These are so beautiful! So how did the shoot come about? I'd love to know the background story. I appreciate that your setup allows the flying hairs to be seen. Just a small detail I see in your pictures.

_MG_6901.jpg

Perfectly lovely. I wonder here is this taken at a wide aperture?

_MG_6539_web.jpg

Ruben Alfu : Dance student 2​

A lot of joy! You kept control of the highlights very well.

_MG_6361.jpg

Ruben Alfu : Dance student 3

You are an ace at photographing children. I love this one too. You have the innocence so well drawn here.

_MG_6740_web.jpg

Ruben Alfu : Dance student 4​

Now here's a young lady growing up ready to have a braces removed. She's a lot of fun and proud of herself!

Ruben Alfu

Ruben,
These are so beautiful! So how did the shoot come about? I'd love to know the background story. I appreciate that your setup allows the flying hairs to be seen. Just a small detail I see in your pictures.

Asher,

Your positive reaction to these photos means a lot to me, thanks!

I started doing this kind of photos a couple of months ago with one of my brothers who is a photographer too, and the opportunity for this particular shooting came while covering another event. The photos were done in a classroom, the only inconvenience was that the ceiling was low, so we had a tight space to position the lights and frame the photos. We worked with two identical sets, side by side: a seamless, a key (monolight with umbrella), and a separation light (speedlights). Most of the photos were done with 2 lights but, in these photos, I like better the look of the key alone.

_MG_6901.jpg

Perfectly lovely. I wonder here is this taken at a wide aperture?

All my photos were done with a Canon 24-105mm (5D body), this shot is at 32mm.

Thanks again Asher!

Ruben

fahim mohammed

Ruben, these are wonderful pictures. More so because I find a rapport between you and your subjects.

A relaxed atmosphere, but excellent shoot. As others have mentioned, the first one is lovely.

Regards.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Some samples from a photo shoot a did recently for a young girls dance school. They are wearing the customs they'd use later for their end of year show. All these photos were done with only one umbrella, I even used just the modeling lamp for the first pic (with an unplanned tungsten light spilling!). I hope you like it!

_MG_6901.jpg

Ruben Alfu : Dance student 1​

Ruben,

You have an excellent way with kids and students, and this is one of your bests. You seem to capture their wonder and innocence as well as openness to the future. I hope you add this to your portfolio and your photography includes such work most of the time. This is where you excel!

Asher

Lisa Armstrong

I was really hoping for some mid dance pictures! I really love capturing mid air dancers. None the less great work I am particularly fond of the up close portrait one.