Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > Panorama Photography: Vistas, Interiors & Objects

Old November 15th, 2011, 01:56 PM

Default studies from the coast

Old November 15th, 2011, 02:06 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Tracy,

Two remarkable images.

The first is disciplined and so rich in sienna and gold, both my favorites.

The second, although "picture postcard pretty"climbs well above that. It has a special sense of unity and is place we, ourselves, can imagine visiting as opposed to just your own personal memento of a fabulous vacation. When a picture becomes a place to be populated with the viewers ideas, then we transcend the common snap of wonderful times that's meaningful to us and our family and friends. I think you have done that here. The clouds are delightful and complete for the main picture with well-made billowing forms and excellent shading. Still, I minor niggle from me: I'd think of hiding the strong dark portion of the cloud at the very left of the picture as it is even stronger than the rocks and pulls the eyes out of the frame.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old November 16th, 2011, 08:57 AM

Thank you for the kind words, Asher!

A commercial artist I know who grew up in Eastern Washington State (wheat country) made comments similar to yours but applied them to the opposite fotos.

Re the far left cloud in the surf pano, thanks for the observation. The image reduction from ~ 3600 > 350 pixels tall played a role in darkening the appearance of the cloud (and the mtn) but I will ponder your comment all the same.
Old February 25th, 2012, 08:46 AM

a study in blue
Old February 25th, 2012, 11:05 AM

I like all three, Tracy. Nicely done.
Old February 26th, 2012, 10:19 AM

Thanks!

Itís a pleasure to capture coastal sky and spaces.
Old January 1st, 2013, 08:32 PM

Following seeing Jerome's bold and impressive image, "Cloud", I searched back to find these images which, although are not architectural, do have strong horizontal landscape elements that are impressive too.

Tracy,

The investment in making adjacent pictures and a horizontal panorama really pays off here. The inclusion of people makes it especially attractive as we can imagine being there as opposed to looking at a sterile but handsome landscape. Of course, some might want the two figures to walk with the dog at the right, but I'm happy with this picture and it's "live" content.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old October 12th, 2017, 10:19 AM

Bump! I like these!

Time to revisit this motif of simple layering!

Asher