• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Antonio Correia - Bio, Artist Stat...

Antonio Correia

BRIEF BIO
Antonio was born in Setúbal Portugal, at the end of 1940s. Photography was a family hobby as his father used to take pictures around their hometown of boats, landscapes and people. A special memory he remembers is his father and uncle working very late at night, in the darkroom.
During his teen years his father lent him occasionally his Rolleiflex and taught him how to take pictures and how to develop film and print in the darkroom. When he became proficient he was given an SLR.
His love of photography was cut short when he was called up for compulsory military service and sent off to the former Portuguese colony of Timor, today Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste. On his return he obtained a degree in Architecture and worked as a professional for more than 31 years with little time for photography while razing a family. Some years ago, before retirement, he recommenced his passion for photography with persistence and commitment.
Returning to his hometown roots, he chairs a local camera group and attends regular meetings every week to discuss experiences, analyse photos, practices, new themes and ways to accomplish them. He continues to learn his craft but has mastered most of the fundamental technical issues, learning, experimenting and fine-tuning his skills.

ARTIST STATEMENT
After retirement the photographic camera is part of António’s life and he concentrates mainly on the aesthetics of the image once the basics have been learnt long time ago. He has that freedom to concentrate on the reality behind the facade, capturing the emotions, experiences and feelings of people in the street.
The great majority of his photographs are black and white and duotone pursuing a consistent and coherent body of work.
António is convinced that this classic approach is the best way to show reality. The viewer is not distracted by colour, and the eye concentrates on the contrast, lines, texture and shapes.
He continues working on photographic projects, wishing to expose outside his country.
Photography is now a major part of his life. He is passionate, absorbed, committed, dedicated and derives enormous pleasure from making images which he shares with the community.

PUBLICATIONS
Silvershotz Folios 2012 | LensWork 110 - Jan / Feb 2014 - Project "Work" | LensWork on line - Jan / Fev 2014 - “Street Photography - India” project | BLUR issue 35 - January 2014 | api | f/11 | Movimento cultural-AMRS 2014

EXPOSITIONS
Paço de Arcos Biennal, Portugal 2012, 2014 | Centro Galego de Lisboa. Portugal 2012 | ARTISET Setúbal, Portugal 2012, 2013, 2014 | Casa da Cultura de Setúbal, Portugal 2013, 2015 | Collective “Viagens” MAEDS Setúbal, Portugal 2015 | Photo Independent 2015, Hollywood California, USA

Andy brown

Antonio, this is good and I had no idea you were such an old guy.
For some reason I thought you were late twenties or something.
Just a quick spelling adjustment. Razing means to burn down.
Raising your family would be preferable!!
Andy

Antonio Correia

Antonio, this is good and I had no idea you were such an old guy.
For some reason I thought you were late twenties or something.
Just a quick spelling adjustment. Razing means to burn down.
Raising your family would be preferable!!
Andy

Thank you for the correction Andy. I was not burning down my family LOL
And you are you a young man ?
Regards :)

Andy brown

My brain is young if a little forgetful,
My back, knees, ankles and low tolerance for fools tell a different story.