• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Ice sculptor at work

Jarmo Juntunen

Dec 8th, Arctic Circle, Finland

_img1280.jpg

_img1280.jpg

Fine photos, Jarmo! Ice sculpture reminds me of Tibeten sand painting in that their temporary nature plays a big role in both.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Dec 8th, Arctic Circle, Finland

_img1280.jpg

_img1280.jpg

Am so impressed, Jarmo. Wonderful pictures of a supervpeocess and damn good artist!

Can one repair the ice if it cracks?

Any electric tools? Is it mostly grinding or is a chisel used. I'd be scared of a major crack after all the hard work!

Do they ever insert any additives to keep the ice from cracking easily?

Asher

Jarmo Juntunen

Thank you Asher, Antonio and Tom!

These pictures show a work in progress inside the Snowman's World in Rovaniemi, Finland. The peak tourist season on this Arctic Circle town is during Christmas, when literarily tens of thousands of tourists come to experience the cold and snowy Lapland, with a meet and greet with the one and only Santa (nope, sorry, he does not live in the North Pole :-D).

Many of the Arctic Circle attractions where still being built last week, these ice sculptures among them. The masters who create them are Chinese, while local (i.e. Finnish) builders concentrate on more robust work with tougher tools:

_img1280.jpg

_img1280.jpg