• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Film: Ektar 100

Ron Morse

I went to Acadia Nat Park last week on a nice day last week to shoot some film. I missed the nice early light because it was 0 deg F early. My old fingers can't take what they used to. I used one of my favorite cameras, a F-1N with motor drive sporting a FD 28 1:2.8 & a FD 50 1:1.4. I forgot to change my ASA speed and under exposed most of it. Ektar seems to like to be over exposed by by 1/3 to 2/3s stop but it came out OK. I think they would have been better if I hadn't under exposed them by 4 stops and had to fiddle with the colors.

While my 5DMII has its place I really enjoy shooting film. I have it developed and scan it myself.

28mm

50mm

28mm

50mm

fahim mohammed

Hi Ron,

Awesome!! ( sorry couldn't help it..)

I find the colors to be more like a cross processed film. Could that be due to Ektar or the exposure.

I am interested to know as to the film you would recommend for use during the summer in your part
of the woods. Color C41.

Have you tried the new Portra 400?

Very scenic indeed, Ron.

Regards.

Ron Morse

Thanks Fahim;

Thanks for the reply Fahim. I appreciate it.

I noticed the colors also. I think it was my dumb mistake.

Actually the pictures look better if you click on them. That will open them in my Smugmug site that I am just now starting, now that I am getting so I can get around again.

After a recent post I'm afraid I'll be a hit & run guy if I show this although I was unable to do much for two years. I am just now starting this and It needs a lot of work.
http://ronmorsephoto.smugmug.com/

I haven't tried the new 400 porta but I think I will really like it. I have been plagued with severe back problems for two years and have taken very few pictures and almost none in the last year. So I'm behind in trying film I'd like to try. I liked porta 400NC.

I have to try the ektar 100 more. I think I will really like it. I have to try fuji 160S also since I have heard good things about it. I read many nice reviews about ektar 100, Then I stumbled on this guys web site
http://shutterclick.smugmug.com/gallery/6499685_dJwsh#412832226_BhGTs

He sure is a lot better than I am.

I did a detailed test of ektar 100 and porta 400 NC. I started with ASA 25 and went to ASA 800 noting everything. Then tried different lighting and did it again. I took it to the 1 hour lab to develop and a CD. They ruined the film. All my work for nothing. I noticed that morning that a new girl was working there.

I have used a lot of Fuji superia 400 and Kodak ultramax 100 and had so so results. Then I tried setting the ASA to 160 or 200 and WOW what a difference. I almost couldn't believe it was the same film. So much better.

We have about 3 feet of snow on the ground now but when the weather gets better I am planing on finding my new favorites. I really like velvia but it is getting so most places only do C41 unless you send it away and the colors are kind of over the top to my eyes but still beautiful.

fahim mohammed

Ron, I shall come back to you after digesting your response. Very kind of you.

In the meantime, I wish for a speedy and full recovery from your back problems. One of the reasons, I don't have any lens greater than 100mm in fl.

Take care and best wishes.