• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My Weekend Studio Shoot for "Issue One" Mag.

Well....The guys and a gal from Pentax came to my shoot yesterday...They were totally chuffed to say the least. They can't wait to get their hands on the final images. The K10D worked famously. If it weren't for that frippen 2 giga card that screwed up it would have been perfect. I found myself going more and more for the 16-45 lens. I basically used the 21, 40 and 16-45. I don't think I used the 70..too long for what I wanted. I'll check my Raw's to check. I may have used it once.

I will say this. The studio assistant wants a Pentax K10D. After she saw the results, well it was over for her. She NEEDS it! It is just fine for pro application. If you are asking how does it compare to a D200..Well equal or better. Less noise and what an incredible user interface. I still have to get used to going for the 4 way toggle for choosing my focus point. It is a question of time. Been using Canon for years. It's like changing girlfriends..oooppppsss sorry..

Banding..NNNOOOOOOO. Noise.....NNNNOOOOOO. Sharp....YESSSSSS. In fact, for the Pentax, I have reduced my unsharp mask to around 200 to 240 at .3 pixels. I do have sharpen at 25 in Camera Raw however...None the less, if you have any questions..You Know!

Ben

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Benjamin,

I'm so pleased that you are putting the K10D through its paces. I had heard that there were noise problems above ISO 200 and limited dynamic range. But I wonder whether Dpreview used Pentax RAW which might not include any Pentax specific corrections.

In any case, this is a great subject to follow.

Looking forward to your report on the actual files and how robust they are to see if they are up to the task.

Asher

Dynamic Range

Benjamin,

I'm so pleased that you are putting the K10D through its paces. I had heard that there were noise problems above ISO 200 and limited dynamic range. But I wonder whether Dpreview used Pentax RAW which might not include any Pentax specific corrections.

In any case, this is a great subject to follow.

Looking forward to your report on the actual files and how robust they are to see if they are up to the task.

Asher

This is a reply from a Pentax Forum member in response to my synopsis and my subsiquent answer re: Dynamic Range...

Originally Posted by roentarre
This is such a good news coming from you. The camera really makes a big difference as we can all tell from our hobby shooting.

Some people criticise the poor dynamic range or whatever in other forums. Do you aggree on the same statement just from your indoor studio setting?

I really think k10d dynamic range much better than my previous canon SLR.

Regardless what the answer is, still happy with the camera myself.

p.s. interesting to hear from you regarding this dynamic range though

Ah Hah...Another interesting Misconception. Have a look at these images and tell me if there is a problem with dynamic range. Shoot from 100 to 400 iso expose correctly for a balance between the high and low end and SHOOT IN RAW...

These images show you what Dynamic Range the K10D has. It is as good as the Nikon's and Canon's..All have about a 13 stop range +/- 1/2 stop.

Best Wishes
Benji

Asher Kelman

Benji. if I may?

I'm so happy! This sense of Pentax making it through each individual working pro is critical and wonderful. Not only is this important for Pentax but it will force rethinking of the idea of professional focus and sealing into the under $1000 camera. Canon and Nikon take notice!

Asher

Hello Asher;

I am in total agreement with you. Pentax are coming out with some rather novel products in the near future that may put a major dent in to the "Big Two"..

Best Wishes
Ben

Kyle Nagel

It appears that's Ben's experiences with the K10D are similar to my own, I have had no issues with dynamic range, or banding, and as far as noise goes, well it does have more noise than my 6 MP Pentax from 400 ISO and up, which is to be expected, but no more noise than other 10 MP cameras, as a matter of fact I think the Nikon D200 has more noise than the K10D. I think some complaints about noise levels are from those comparing High ISO images from cameras with fewer mega-pixels, if you compare it to other 10 MP cameras it is right on par. It is definitely up to the challenge for professional use, no problem what so ever.

As I've browsed other forums I find that most (if not all) complaints about noise and dynamic range are from those that don't own a K10D, the problem is that for a long time it has been a Nikon and Canon race, and now Pentax has made a move and has started gaining on the big boys, so Canon and Nikon users are looking back and saying, "What the... Who is this? Pentax? Say it isn't so". This should be good news for them, this will hopefully just push Nikon and Canon to step up and become more competitive, this is good for everyone.

Kyle

Asher Kelman

I think some complaints about noise levels are from those comparing High ISO images from cameras with fewer mega-pixels

Good point.

As I've browsed other forums I find that most (if not all) complaints about noise and dynamic range are from those that don't own a K10D,

That's because the reviews in DPreview and others already set the tone and then it's the "Blue Book" of Camera quality so to speak!

the problem is that for a long time it has been a Nikon and Canon race, and now Pentax has made a move and has started gaining on the big boys, so Canon and Nikon users are looking back and saying, "What the... Who is this? Pentax? Say it isn't so.

Kyle

I hope that they start innovating like Pentax. With their resources we should have even a MF canon by now!

Kyle Nagel

I'm actually surprised Canon hasn't gone after the MF market considering they have some of the best sensor technology around.

With Pentax soon to be releasing their digital medium format it will really give them an edge, especially since most of their accessories are compatible with their MF as well as the DSLRs and 35mm, the MF lenses will even work on their 35mm/DSLR cameras with an adapter.

Kyle

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Ben, would you have any sample k10D+21mm (maybe 40mm as well) images in RAW that I could download? I'm trying to get a feel for what that combo is like prior to a possible purchase. Thanks.

I wish to set this matter to rest. I have had images blown up to 1.0 x .80 meters in Galleries that were shot on my Canon 10D shot at 800 iso. In fact up to 5x3 meters at the Festival of Fashion Photography in Cannes. I truly believe that most of the individuals complaining about noise etc. have not seen their images in print. Perhaps if they spent a small portion of their free time learning some basic PP techniques and translated that experience to the printed media, they would see a huge dichotomy between a screen and hard copy. The Pentax is a pro camera. Here is what I had to say to another user in a forum concerned about how it performed. Here is what I said.

Hello Larry;

It was quite seamless. The four point toggle takes some getting used to. That is a question of conditioning after years with Canon. Focusing very fast and accurate. Nice RAW images. Worked just fine. It IS a professional camera for me. I am a professional. I used it today and yesterday for an important client. It did the job. It didn't blow up! It kept taking pictures without one thought of concern ever entering my mind. I shot over 12 gig of images and my batteries on both of the bodies are still able to shoot at least another 200 each.

Look..I shoot in studio and in interior locations. I really don't know how it would do under adverse conditions as yet. I'll probably never find out. I want good raw native images that will translate well to the printed media. Pentax WON five stars and not "JUST" five stars...Nudge Nudge Wink Wink, Say No More, Say No More!

I work for a living as a photographer...Can PHIL say that?

Raw Images

Ben, would you have any sample k10D+21mm (maybe 40mm as well) images in RAW that I could download? I'm trying to get a feel for what that combo is like prior to a possible purchase. Thanks.

First off..Don't want to get sued by the client. I can show you some of the JPEG's from the shoot that haven't yet been retouched. I have not as yet put them up for viewing except on a few other Pentax Forums. If you give me your e-mail address I can send you an image.

Ben

Asher Kelman

That, Ben is exactly what we are setting up here at OPF!

In case you missed it:

http://www.openphotographyforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2129

http://www.openphotographyforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2132

This is important for us and we will do it in a first class way.

Ben, if you could review your own store of files, are there not-your best RAW files for different camera/back-lens-subject combinations that we might use?

Asher